2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Post by whitespruce » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

OK, I lied. Said it would be a few weeks. But I really need some shop time, so here is the start...just the wood for now, but will to keep some progress going.

Backs and Sides, number 1, High grade cocobolo

Closeup of back

Back and Sides, number2, high grade cocobolo, same log, different billet

Closeup of back

Tops, some of my close grain white spruce from log 3...better than Adi IMNSHO ;)

Fingerboards, ebony with color

And here are the first 15 bar frets for the phosphor bronze fretted one. Notice how little the saw kerfs wasted (plus I trued up the edge on the disk sander between cuts) compared to the full width piece
The second one will have beryllium copper frets.

I will probably cut fret slots tomorrow and get the necks and blocks picked out.

Later,

G

Pat Foster

Re: 2 new bar fret guits

Post by Pat Foster » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Awesome, Grant. I'll be watching for sure!

Pat
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." — Tom Waits

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Well, so far, we know they're going to look gorgeous.

Binding scheme?

Any thoughts about external adjustability on the necks?

Will you do bound fretboards - or is that an unwise move for bar frets, since they would have to be pulled straight up for replacement (if ever), to not break the binding?

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks for the comments, Pat and Dennis.

Dennis, I am toying with snakewood binding with some bark purfling and a bark rosette.

I will stick with my usual internal neck adjustment on these. For the once or twice a year that I have ever actually needed to adjust a neck it just doesn't seem worth the extra effort. I have demonstrated to myself that I can actually do an external adjustment if somebody really wants one and that is sufficient for now. I do have one more external adjustable (a Pau Rosa small jumbo) that I will be finishing soon.

A bound fingerboard would be a classy addition, but I have not decided if I want to file that many notches in the ends of those big honkin' bars :shock: I will leave that open for now.

G

timo

Post by timo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm

I am dropping off the beryllium copper I have at the metal shop tomorrow. I have a DXF file for them and my sheet should yield about 300+pieces; 6"x1/16"x7/32". That should be enough wire for a test of the theory. :D I've had this material for nearly 15 years and want it to be used, and experimentation is valuable to me, anyone interested let me know. Grant, I'll send you two or three necks worth when I get it back. Hopefully in a week. Happy bar fret building to all! T

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 pm

timo wrote:I am dropping off the beryllium copper I have at the metal shop tomorrow. I have a DXF file for them and my sheet should yield about 300+pieces; 6"x1/16"x7/32". That should be enough wire for a test of the theory. :D I've had this material for nearly 15 years and want it to be used, and experimentation is valuable to me, anyone interested let me know. Grant, I'll send you two or three necks worth when I get it back. Hopefully in a week. Happy bar fret building to all! T
Thanks, Tim Do you ever build with cocobolo rosewood? Maybe a back and side set like I am building these two with could be a trade.

G

Chris Muse

Post by Chris Muse » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Grant
That top cocobolo set looks fantastic. I sure love that shape and hopefully will be able to see it at the gathering.
Chris

timo

Post by timo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Grant, that is far too generous. These bar frets are going to be pretty cheap this time around, it's just good fortune. I have the material for truly nothing, it was used in a TV commercial as a prop. The cutting fees per neck will be less than a set of jumbo EVO from LMI. If this is a viable idea, and I believe it is, we will all make a better guitar, it's a goal for us all. I just hope I can make it to Stringfest this summer or next and meet you and Dennis and many of the the good peeps who frequent.

Thanks, Tim