2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
Pat Foster
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: 2 new bar fret guits

Post by Pat Foster » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Damn, Grant, you're sure going to have some beauties!

Pat
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." — Tom Waits

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Yikes! I forgot to take a photo when it was strung up, and today I unstrung it and started putting on a few more coats of finish. Oh well, there are some photos in the Stringfest thread, and I will take some decent ones in a couple of weeks when I have it back together.

I did notice that somebody's insect repellent boogered up the Liberon finish on the side and spilling over onto the top where the arm was contacting the guitar. Still shows a bit after one more coat. If another coat does not cover it up, I will have to take more drastic action.

I will start another body for the other neck in a few weeks using the thermally modified top that I have glued up.

G

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:20 pm

IT WASN'T ME THIS TIME!i was DEET free when I played it!
Amazing guitar. We did some frequency analysis on this one within the first 24 hours she'd been strung up - Pretty impressive - Really broad, strong lines across the board.

A couple of shots I took of her.

She's just stunning, all around.

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Well, Dennis figured this out and posted the sound file, so I will just edit in the information.

This past weekend I was at one of the State Parks giving birchbark canoe demonstrations. A friend asked me to bring one of my guitars along, so I brought the beryllium copper bar fret guitar. He was going to be playing music off to the side of the outdoor demos. He brought his own instruments, but mostly played my guitar (he loved it). anyhow, he recorded a sound clip while sitting at a picnic table outdoors and e-mailed it to me. I have no idea what he used, or if it is decent quality, but here it is FWIW.

BTW, the night before, we sat by a camp fire and he played. Another friend (the Park Naturalist) video'd a bunch of it on his cell phone and is going to send it to me. If they turned out halfway decent, I will post some of that when I get it.

http://www.luthiercom.org/MP3/RoseOfTheWood.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G

Joel M

Re: 2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Post by Joel M » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Wow Grant

That is a fantastic guitar. SOOO Many neat and innovative ideas combined. I love the bar frets, watching the entire journey was quite a treat.

That cocobolo is absolutely gorgeous. You truly are the Coco King

Thanks for the sound clip aswell, it sound like a visual and tonal winner. Congrats.

J.

SteveSmith

Re: 2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Post by SteveSmith » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Grant, thanks for sharing this and taking the time go through the process. Makes me want to do another one that's "different" - I did one falcate braced dred and it came out well but didn't enjoy working with the CF and epoxy. I'll look forward to a how-to thread on your top bracing.