"Snapper" Archtop

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

"Snapper" Archtop

Post by whitespruce » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Well a couple of years or so ago, I got this wild hair about doing an archtop. So I resawed a few archtop wedge top sets out of one of my white spruce logs and set one aside.

Now this was not going to be a "normal" archtop in any way, but one built to look like a snapping turtle. And when I saw The Padma post about a turtleback, I thought maybe he got the same idea. Turns out he is doing something entirely different than I had planned.

My plan is to have a carved back, top, and sides, all carved to look like the body of a turtle with the legs and tail kinda folded in. And the neck will be a stretched out turtle neck with the turtle head incorporated into the headstock. No, I am not crazy ;)

So the guitar back will be modeled after the shell of a snapping turtle. Here is one that I will use as a reference:
This one is almost 18" long, so I just have to size it up an inch or so.

Now, the top of the guitar will be carved like the lower shell, which on a snapping turtle is quite small. Most of the top will be carved into the lower surfaces of the legs which will continue onto the carved sides. Here is a rough sketch of the layout of the top on the white spruce wedges:
The small outline in the center is all that is actually turtle shell, the rest is skin. Ignore the outline of the regular guitar which I crossed out.

I plan to carve the back and sides out of basswood. Then the whole thing will be realistically carved and painted, including the neck, to look like the actual turtle. Like this:

Ya, that one is wood, too:
I can use this one for a reference for the front half.

Here are a couple more views:

And I have a bunch of snapping turtle leather that will give me reference for the surface textures of the rest of it:

The only parts that will look like normal wood will be the fingerbord and maybe the bridge.

It will be a while before I get this one going, but thought I had better get the idea reserved here before one of the more adventurous souls here beat me to it :D

G

Rich Schnee

Re: "Snapper" Archtop

Post by Rich Schnee » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:45 am

Wow!!! That turtle carving looks realistic. I can’t wait too see this one.
Are you planning on mounting the strings to the belly?
Thanks for the teaser Grant.
Rich

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 am

That is way cool Grant. Really neat to merge your former interest and skills into your lutherie.
Won't be picking up one of these off the rack at GuitarWorld!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:23 am

Grant,

I remember when you first mentioned this project - must have been a couple of years ago. Very cool! Talk about a one of a kind guitar!

As someone who has caught a few snapping turtles as a kid, and helped a few of them across a highway as an adult (no, they don't say "thank you!"), I have a huge respect for the powerful beak and jaws (and temperaments) of these turtles. The reason that I mention this is to say that I have seen Grant's snapping turtle carving in person - several times - and you'd think by this point that I would finally be able to relax and not worry about being bitten (by the sculpture!) Well, this carving and the detail in the painting are so realistic, that I am still unable to comfortably put my hand in front of the mouth. It is truly some incredible carving and detailing work.

For those of you that don't know, Grant used to carve birds, entered a few into world competitions, and is literally one of the best (maybe the best) in the world. Those who have an opportunity to visit Grant and Christy at their home (perhaps at Stringfest in July), will have the opportunity to see several of Grant's life-size bird carving masterpieces (as well as the snapping turtle carving) in person.

So, Grant, should we call the parts "soundboard" and "back", or "plastron" and "carapace"? :lol:

This will be a lot of fun to watch "come to life"!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am

Great idea Grant and having enjoyed seeing your carvings, I know it will be very realistic! In fact, few will want to pick it up!

I hope you get a chunk of time to work on it...and I get to play it sometime.

Best,

Dean

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:31 am

Hey Dean, I am gonna try to have this playable for the Stringfest. Might still be in the white, but it will have strings on it :D So come on over.

G

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:42 am

Wow! That snapper head looks so real ,I thought is Was real when I first saw it.
This will be very cool to see "come to life" . That is really neat,that you can put two of
your talents together to come up with this project Grant.I really can't wait to see this!!
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:23 pm

You talent is impeccable Grant! Reminds me of my Fathers attention to detail in his wildlife paintings. He would have loved your work. :mrgreen:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO