Ben's First Electric

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Jason
Include Off Topic: Yes

Ben's First Electric

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:18 pm

A friend of mine from my days working at the university has been interested in lutherie for a while, and he finally decided to take the plunge. I'm helping him out by teaching him the basics of electric guitar design, providing the tools and teaching him how to use them, providing something of a place to work, and keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't make too many beginner mistakes. I've introduced him to the forum, and he'll take it from here.

Jason.

Sliadon

Re: Ben's First Electric

Post by Sliadon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:37 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Sliadon on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ben

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:06 pm

Welcome, Ben!

It will be fun to see this come together. I started a cluster of solid body neck-thru electrics so long ago, you wouldn't even believe me if I told you. Maybe you'll inspire me to finish at least one of them!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Sliadon

Post by Sliadon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Sliadon on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ben

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 am

Very cool Ben. And YES, go with the Wenge for the headstock overlay. Looks good from here! I'm with ya on waiting for Mother Nature when it comes to guitar building. Sure can make you change plans in a hurry. But it sounds like you and Jason are making the best of it.
I saw a Tele switch plate, so I have to ask what pick ups you have in mind. Or maybe, what sound/tone are you after might be a better way to put it.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:02 am

Hey, that's lookin' great, and I'm betting on all kindsa sustain and cool tone with that nice wood!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Sliadon

Post by Sliadon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:35 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Sliadon on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ben

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Very cool! I was thinking a set of split coil humbuckers would be the ticket. I've got a serious P-90 itch going I need to scratch later this summer!
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO