New here, Bass just finished

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Dennis Mitchell
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: New here, Bass just finished

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 pm

MetcalfGuitars wrote:Guitars are nice.....but let's see the reef tank!
I need a wide angle lens for mine Tim, it's only 8' long! :o
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Down and Outman

Post by Down and Outman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Since you asked, here's my 90 gal reef tank.

markjens

Post by markjens » Fri May 01, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm looking forward to showing your bass to my son when he comes home from college for the weekend. He is gonna love it! I was admiring your reef tank, I used to have a 135 before I got hurt. My next door neighbor and best friend was an electrician, and we had such a great time with my tank. We set up a real day/night cycle for my lighting. The actinics would come on for dawn, then the left halide, the middle halide, and finally the right, and when it was 'high noon' that tank was really beautiful. Finally, the lights would then turn off in reverse for a 'sunset' type thing. We also made wave controllers so I had these cool waves that whooshed across my tank. The corals loved it! As we got more crazy with our inventions the invetebrates just got happier and happier. It was such an awesome tank! My own six foot section of the ocean floor. All of the corals were happy and growing, but my clams were really something. I miss it, but I couldn't possibly manage the required upkeep any more. It sure is nice to see yours, though.

Down and Outman

Post by Down and Outman » Sun May 03, 2009 10:00 pm

The reef tank sort of happened. I was given a 55 gal tank and my wife popped up and said,"Let's do saltwater!". Three years later I have a full blown reef. Not as elaborate as yours was, but it's fun. Kids (and grown up kids) love it when they come over.
I've been playing my new bass in church every sunday evening. The finish is finally dry. I kind of jumped the gun and started playing it even though the tung oil wasn't completely dry. Had to clean the strings with acetone to get the tung oil out of them. Sounds awesome. I know I made a few mistakes on it which are showing up now. But this ones for me to learn on and fool around with. I've got wood enough for 4 or 5 more guitars and will be starting soon on them. Gonna do neck thru with walnut, ipe, purpleheart and maple. Each one different. Hopefully this economy will pick up and I can sell them.
The only experts are dead and retired. The rest of us are still trying to figure it out.

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Mon May 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Reef tanks are a disease, like building guitars! It starts out simple, then domino's to the Nth degree. I started with a 100 gal, then added a 40, then a 75, and the inevitable venture into nano reef tanks with 2.5 gal. Even raised sea horses for a bit. Then we realized we no longer had a living room. So in came the 240gal. Long story short, we combined everything into the 240 to reduce cycle time, and added a refugium as well. We kept the 75 up for another year before putting it's residents into the 240. We now enjoy one big happy reef system!

Mandatory content: glad to hear the bass is doing good. Sp how do you like using Ipe for fretboards? You've got my curiosity up big time.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Down and Outman

Post by Down and Outman » Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I really like the Ipe fretboard. Gives it a nice sound and no way I'll ever wear it out. Took a while to get the radius sanded. Went through a bunch of sandpaper with my LMI radius block to get it right. Gotta watch out for splinters on it when you work with it. Those guys are sharp as all get out. Once it's sanded it is slick, works great for a fretless bass.

Yes, reef tanks are a disease!

Been on hold from building or anything for that matter, but that's almost over. My job went to hell in a handbag with the downturn in the economy. My bosses decided we couldn't get another job so they are torturing us as much as possible. I've got them right where I want them. Waiting for the drug screen results from another water plant! They are going to crap when I hand them my 2 weeks notice! LOL!!! I've got enough wood ready to go for 4 or 5 more guitars and basses.
The only experts are dead and retired. The rest of us are still trying to figure it out.

Down and Outman

Post by Down and Outman » Wed May 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Great news, Just got a call from my new boss and I start monday! Got a ton of vacation time at my old job, so I'll take 2 weeks vacation for my notice, AND I"M OUTA THERE!
Now I can get back to building! Got a few ideas rolling in my head. A purpleheart topped Flying Vee, A strat similar to the bass with 1 pup and a floyd rose. A blues guitar, semi hollow with a gibson scale neck. An acoustic bass for me. Life is good!

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed May 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Congrat's on the new job! And thanks for the tip on Ipe. I've got a fellow bugging me about an acoustic fretless bass, so I may have to give it a shot when the time comes.
Dennis Mitchell

PLATO