A Pair of Ditsons

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: A Pair of Ditsons

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Hey Chris, thanks for the nice comments. I'm pretty much a newbie also, these two are builds 5 and 6 for me, with the first one a 000 kit from stew-mac. So I'm pretty much soaking up as much as I can from those that know.

On that tutorial Hesh uses a single-flute countersink from Woodcraft like these,

http://luthiersforum.3element.com/forum ... 154big.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't have one yet, and the old standard type countersink I had did a pretty lousy job, not really nice and round. So someone else in the comments on that page of Hesh's tut. said they had had good luck using a cone shaped grinding stone. So I found one of those from one of those cheap sets of assorted stones in my junk drawer, and while not perfect, it sure did a better job than the old type countersink. I'm definitely going to get one of the single flute types though. They appear to do a great job.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Nice Job on the bridges I like them. I have to show you a drill tool that I used too for making bridges, ya more tools...
I try to remember monday if I have time. I think it call a bridge plate saver and a taper bit...wait to I show you how I used them.
:P well also nice neck guess you read WC book....

Ron
http://www.harpguitar.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can think it, Ill try to make it

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Very cool, Joe! I like all the bridges, but I especially like the personality of your hybrid pyramid bridges. Well done!

Love that action shot of carving the neck, too!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:18 am

Joe,

Holy Cow Man. Your on fire. Nice job on the bridges. All of them.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:11 pm

I was telling you about making custom bridges with out the blueprint glue on the wood...
well I found a way the I used without the drill moving on me and keeping the holes all line up
I use a bridge plate and tape them to the bridge..
you can pretty much making up what ever you want as far as shape here..
then I was saying about about the taper tool
I pick them up at sears
I had to show you this because it tappers the hole so nice check out how nice the pin
fit into the hole.

well just wanted to show you joe

to tapper the inside of the hole I use a bridge pin tapper tool I get from grizzly...under the luthier page.Ill get a photo ,I ran out of time today and had to go pick up the kids from school.

ron
http://www.harpguitar.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can think it, Ill try to make it

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 pm

I appreciate you following this guys, and particularly the kind comments!

Hey thanks Ron, that's some more good info. I need all I can get. :D

So I glued some walnut and rosewood onto headstock for each guitar.

I always enjoy shots with clamps sticking out everywhere. Makes you feel like your really accomplishing something. :D

So here's how I make my slotted headstocks. First I layout my tuners to mark the position I need to drill for the pegs. And it's important to remember to drill those before you cut your slots. That keeps it clean, otherwise there is a chance of splintering as the drill hits the slots.

I use a cheap doweling jig, but it works good. You just have to lay out your center lines and move it for each peg.

This shows some of my layout lines and 1/2" holes drilled at the ends of the slots.

Now I mark my cut lines with white pencil for visibility.

Clamp the neck in the vise, note the spacer inserted into the trussrod slot so that I don't crack the neck.

And I use a blade that cuts on the downstroke which makes for a pretty clean cut with little tear-out. I carefully cut just inside the line.

Then clean up the slots with some stick-on sandpaper on a stick. I found that the second position really helps to keep my sanding flat, right at eye level.

And the slots look pretty clean.

So now I cut my string ramps with a rat-tail file, finishing with some sandpaper on a 1/2" dowel.

And I've always had trouble with the tail end of my file gouging the slots as I was carefully focused on cutting the ramps. So this time I cut some shields out of aluminum flashing, bent them into an L shape and stuck them in the slots with double back tape. So for the first time I didn't bugger up my carefully made slots.

And there you have it. Two slotted headstocks.
All for now,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Garry Hallam

Post by Garry Hallam » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Nice work Joe, and some good creative solutions too. You sure make it look easy with all you do.

Garry
Silly rule golden words make, practice practice makes perfect,
Perfect is a fault, and fault lines change - Michael Stipe

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Joe,

Very classy, and classic, headstocks! Nicely done! And, I will remember the aluminum flashing trick - good one.

Dennis
Dennis Leahy