Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 am

I think it would be interesting Jesse, why don't you test it out for us?

Yeah Dennis, I'm just using my old 15' radius dish for the backs as of now. Hanns had made a 10' radius trough that he used for his backs, would like to try that at some point, just haven't got there yet...… I like curves in a guitar!
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

mtracz

Post by mtracz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:15 am

Joe,

Sandblasted top, what did I miss? I'd also like to try cylindrical tops and backs as well. Nigel Forster references historic instruments in similar fashion. I've never heard a guitar with this type of shape but I imagine the longitudinal stiffness would have a sonic affect.

Keep em coming.

Thank you sir!
Mike Tracz

MCT Guitars - Handcrafted to Inspire
https://MCTGuitars.tumblr.com/

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:11 pm

Finally managed to spend a little time in the shop the last couple of days...…..
IMG_2546.JPG
Got the back braces in and carved.

IMG_2545.JPG
Glued the top onto the rims.

IMG_2547.JPG
And now the back is glued on.

So if all goes right, looks like I'll have a box, hurrah!
Just a little insight into how it is working in a shop with no temp or humidity control. We've had a lot of rain lately so I'm sure the humidity level is high. As we all know, not good for gluing braces onto plates or gluing plates onto rims. I've got a loosely vented closet in my shop built from some old doors, with a small bathroom gas heater inside. So glue bottle, plates, braces, and rimset spend a couple of days in there to cook off the moisture before glue up.

You do what you gotta' do.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

johnparchem
Site Admin

Post by johnparchem » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 pm

The guitar is looking great as it is coming together.

John J

Post by John J » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Good to see you back in the shop, Joe. I was just thinking of asking you where you were at on this one. What are you doing for binding?

John
John Joyce

“Embrace the creative change in direction borne of necessity”

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks for the comments guys! And I believe I'm going with tortoiseshell celluloid binding on this one since that's what I used in the soundhole, but don't hold me to that...…..

Speaking of memory...…. anyone notice anything funny about the back bracing?

Yesterday about 4 in themorning it dawned on me I didn't add a reinforcment strip on the back join..... I usually do that first, then cut out where the braces go and add them. Now I know I've seen threads about how necessary that strip is on the back since we usually don't have one on the top plate, and as I recall many think it isn't necessary and don't use one, that it's more tradition than anything. I guess now I get to decide whether to try and go back and add it through the soundhole or take the gamble that it isn't vital.

Damn, so much for memory.......
Kurt Vonnegut

John J

Post by John J » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:55 am

Joe, my two cents on the back reinforcing strip necessity is that it’s probably not an absolute must, especially if your glue joint is good. And if I read your posts correctly and you routed in the decorative back strip after the back was glued up, we’ll that in my mind does essentially the same thing as the interior reinforcing strip.

I think it’ll be ok.

John
John Joyce

“Embrace the creative change in direction borne of necessity”

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Joe Sustaire wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 am ... I guess now I get to decide whether to try and go back and add it through the soundhole or take the gamble that it isn't vital.

Damn, so much for memory.......
My $0.02 would be to add one "diamond", a little 3/4"x3/4" or 1"x1" square rotated into a diamond, between each brace pair. I would probably attach the reinforcement diamonds using those damn rare earth magnets that I always swear I'll never use again just before I use them again.

You might want to do some artwork on the one diamond that will be most visible through the sound hole. Like maybe a reproduction of the Sistine Chapel (or, even better, an original Sustaire!)
Dennis Leahy