The Back Yard Build Contest!

Times are tough, the world's economy is takin' a beating; What should conscientious luthiers do in response?! How about some scrounge builds! Nothin' fancy, nothin' from far away, and lots of imagination...
Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: The Back Yard Build Contest!

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm

Dennis MItchell wrote:Interesting idea Eben. As the new kid in town, I'll have to dig through my limited stash-o-wood. I would probably have to go with the home grown division. Shame it's a 100 mile limitation. I just brought home a chunk of barn wood from the Spur Ranch where my wife's Aunt and Uncle worked for most of their adult lives. Lemme see if I can squeeze in another build and we shall go from there.
Oh man, you're bringing back memories with your avatar (and name!) Can't tell you how many times I was called "Dennis the Menace" as a kid!

Well, welcome aboard, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Backyard Build!

Dennis (L)
Dennis Leahy

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 am

Gee D,

I can't imagine why folks would have called you Dennis the Menace...

;) :lol:

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:42 am

Eben wrote:Gee D,

I can't imagine why folks would have called you Dennis the Menace...

;) :lol:

E
Oh, and when they did, I proved them right! Talk about a self-fulfilling prophesy... :twisted: :lol:

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! The jury is still out on my participating in the backyard build, but I'm thinking hard on it! As for DtheM, I have the name AND reputation! These days I tell people I can prove it's my name, "he" can't. :D I even went through King Features to get copyright permission to have the inlay done. The main request other than KFS's copyright notice was to add Hank Ketchum's copyright as well to the builders label. (Didn't hurt that the fellow I contacted at KFS was also a guitar picker!) And so it was! Only twist was I sent a B&W image to the luthier who built it, and he took it a step beyond by making it in full color.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Martinedwards

Post by Martinedwards » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:34 am

ALL my builds use scrounged scrap!!

the mahogany body & neck on this used to be the bar in the social club attached to the powerstation that I can see fro my workshop window........

and MOST of my acoustic builds come from offcuts from a big woodshop nearby.

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 am

Martin,

That's cool. Have you got a line in to that powerstation for when you play it :D
Dave White
De Faoite Stringed Instruments

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

buzzardsbass

Post by buzzardsbass » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 am

Okay, I'll go for the midnight madness category. I've already cut into the headboard of my bed that I've had since I was a kid. It's 50+ year old maple, and I already cut the top half of the body. Image

What if the entire project is part scrounged and partly not scrounged? What category would that be in? This is a link to my website with the project that has been underway for a while: http://www.buzzardsbass.com/workshop/pr ... d-pjp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does that count?

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes it sure does, and I think that you're in the right slot to boot!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog