A Pair of Ditsons

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
tlguitars
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: A Pair of Ditsons

Post by tlguitars » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Hey all you Ditson fans do you know about this website? http://www.northstreetattic.com. My buddy Woody is writing "the" book on the Martin Ditson and it's evolution for Martin right now. Just an FYI for all you Dits fans.

Toddo

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Joe, can I hijack your thread for a moment to welcome Todd Lunneborg (tlguitars) to the Luthier Community? Welcome, Todd! Very glad you're here and looking forward to your input!

Thanks, Joe! And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Joe...you are scaring the crap outta me :o ....please, do not work the chisel towards yourself! All it takes is a little slip and you have a chisel lodged between your 2nd and 3rd ribs. Maybe I am a bit of a nervous nelly, but your should always, always, always work a sharp instrument away from yourself, your arms, your hands, your stomach. I have several stitches in my left thumb from just such a simple lapse in judgement.

Other than that, these are coming along great!!!
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Joe,

Lots of great progress. But I have to admit, when I saw the chisel position I kinda felt a chill.

But, your a big boy now and an man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Just be careful. :(

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 pm

My long-winded apology, and excuse. :D

I know, I know, thanks for the concern guys! See what happens when you try to do that fancy photography like Eric and Waddy are doing? First you realize you got to start dressing better in the shop. Stained and torn t-shirts just aren't photogenic, and then people see all your bad work habits. :D Seriously, it's not near as bad as it looks. Both forearms are anchored on the bench and the chisel is being moved with wrist and finger movement only. So there is a very limited range of movement possible. I agree it looks very dangerous in the photo, and shouldn't be on display as an example to follow.

I grew up as a boy scout, and was also taught to always use knives and sharp tools in directions away from your body. Extremely good advice, across the board. However, as an artist/craftsman, I have often found situations where I have needed, and got the best results, using tools counter to common safety directions. An example, in whittling, you hold the workpiece and cut away from the body. Works great for carving sticks down to kindling. But if I need a very controlled, careful cut I often make those cuts pulling the knife toward my thumb. But there again, I'm careful that it's a limited motion, hand squeeze type of stroke. Gives me the control I need, but carefully limits the motion in case the knife slips.

In the photo above I had been having trouble when I was carving the ladder braces on the top, which are carved down to zero before they get to the kerfing. So, the braces end well before the edge of the soft spruce. In the usual chiseling position, which I do use for most brace carving, no matter how careful I was, as the chisel slid off the end of the brace, it would often nick the top. With a thin top and the floating braces not notching into the kerfing, I definitely didn't want to keep cutting into the top. So, this cutting position developed. I know here I'm carving the ends of the back braces, but I found this to give me a very controlled cut.

As they say on TV, -don't try this at home!

Thanks for watching, thanks for the comments, and truly, thanks for the concern,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:27 am

Joe,

Like I said, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

As far as I am concerned your Totenship is safe.

Really enjoying your build,

Lefty (Never came close to Eagle but I sure had me some good times) :lol:
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 am

Hey Todd,

Welcome to the community! And thanks for that web link. Sounds like that book will open up the history of a great guitar. Can't wait to read it.

Thanks,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, criminy, Joe;

It did look like you were fixin' to commit sepuku...

:mrgreen:

Hey, Todd - Welcome man! VERY glad to have you aboard!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog