Danny's Guitar

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Danny's Guitar

Post by whitespruce » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:28 am

We have been building a guitar for my friend Danny Yochum for over a year now. Body is cocobolo rosewood with a white spruce top. I had one top with a 30 calibre bullet lodged in it, so resawing the billet gave a bookmatched bullet. Danny chose this top. I showed the body of this guitar at Stringfest this year. Did not really take progress pictures, but we finally got it strung up yesterday. It sounded absolutely wonderful right after string up. Danny is a happy guy.
IMG_6749.JPG
IMG_6750.JPG
IMG_6751.JPG
IMG_6752.JPG
IMG_6753.JPG
IMG_6754.JPG
IMG_6755.JPG
g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnparchem
Site Admin

Re: Danny's Guitar

Post by johnparchem » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:36 am

Very nice looking guitar! The bullet is an amazing feature; It seems like it most of taken a lot of care throughout the build and finish process to keep it in place.

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:45 pm

johnparchem wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:36 am Very nice looking guitar! The bullet is an amazing feature; It seems like it most of taken a lot of care throughout the build and finish process to keep it in place.
Actually, it was in there pretty solid. It survived resawing and thickness sanding. We did finally stabilize it a bit with epoxy.

g

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 pm

She’s a beaut, and that top is, well, one in a million! Goltz bracing, I trust?
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

michael

Post by michael » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Nice looking guitar Grant. I use a 30 caliber Remmington for deer hunting, but haven't been in your neck of the woods!

Mike

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 am

Eben wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 pm She’s a beaut, and that top is, well, one in a million! Goltz bracing, I trust?

Yes, has all the features of my guitars plus a "bird's mouth" headstock joint (like John Slobod does, except cut by hand). And this one was awesome sounding right off the bat.

I should mention, again, that I never pay any attention to what the neck angle is going to be when doing the body and, as usual, it came out perfect once the neck bolts were snugged down. Dumb luck?? :D :D

g

johnparchem
Site Admin

Post by johnparchem » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:00 am

whitespruce wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 am
I should mention, again, that I never pay any attention to what the neck angle is going to be when doing the body and, as usual, it came out perfect once the neck bolts were snugged down. Dumb luck?? :D :D

g
Not dumb luck, probably locked into your process and your intuitive sense of what it should be. I suggest most of us need to pay attention as I often see builders struggling late in the build dealing with a ski ramp situation or excessive fall off of the extension.