Documenting my 1st thermally modified build, videos added, SOLD

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Documenting my first total thermally modified build

Post by whitespruce » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate folks taking the time to comment and ask questions...that is why we are here.

Brian, on the sap stains, I really don't know. I sorted out over 300 tops to have treated, so don't remember much individually. Some other tops with sap stains sanded out completely, but these only about half.

The frets are about 0.055 above the board. They appear taller partly because of proportion...they are only 0.060 wide. All of this gives a different feel than standard (whatever that is) frets, but I kind of like it after playing a bit. They could be dressed lower, or I could have cut the slots a tad deeper.

I have been reading whatever I can find and looking at posts on other forums on thermally treated wood. Man, there is TONS of disinformation being passed around. Actually, so few people know much about the subject that most are just repeating what they have heard, sometimes second or third hand or more....and you know how that goes :roll: I see lots of "so and so said this" or something similar, and then "so and so" says "no, I heard that from "x" who said "y" thought he heard it from somebody, but by now, it has become fact....Yikes. There was a post on the OLF where they were interviewing a guy from Taylor (part of those "tips du jour" things), and that guy just spewed total bullshit. And that is only the tip of the iceberg on the ficticious marketing hype. And the price gouging is criminal. I see folks asking $100 extra for a "torrefied" top. On cost, I will be totally up front with folks. The 350 or so tops I had treated basically cost me around $10 each, and most of that was my time. I actually paid $2.00 per top for the kiln time, but I did stack and unstack my own wood on the pallet (which took the better part of a day), and I think John did give me a bit of a price break. So, I would figure selling a treated top for $15 over the cost of non-treated, which I think is reasonable.

I could rant for many more paragraphs, but will leave it for now. But don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them.

G

charangohabsburg

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but I have to say that I find look of the finished guitar for several reasons quite cool. Amongst other things I see it as a strong statement against "wood beauty snobbery". Further, the term "old look" (for a guitar) may have to get redefined! :lol: Well done Grant, and I'd like to add that I really enjoyed this thread, thanks for the time and effort! I'm just wondering now when you will do a guitar strung with shop made deer gut strings! ;)
Markus

printer2

Post by printer2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Guitar looks great Grant. I like the 'stained' portions of the top also, the whole guitar says its been around a while rather than being a spanking new baby.

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Again, thanks all for the supportive comments.

I guess one thing that I try to do, and maybe that is one of my functions on this Forum, is to demonstrate to folks to not be afraid to "walk across the street" or step out of the box. In that regard, I am certainly not alone here, but some of the sorta crazy things I do here ARE quite deliberate. And when I come across what appears to be a hornet's nest, first thing I do is look for a stick :lol: So, please do keep that in mind if, at times, I appear a bit too rude and crude.

G

Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:30 am

NIce look, Grant! What markus said. Looks real, you know, like wood.

Congrats!

Pat

P. S. I have yet to try the bark thing on one of my own. Soon, though.
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." — Tom Waits

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks, Pat.

Ron Miles was over yesterday afternoon (as were Bonnie and Sally), so we had quite a party. The guitar finally got a substantial amount of playing. When I played it a bit tonight, the volume has increased quite noticeably. It is becoming a real "banjo killer". Not sure where it will eventually settle.

G

whitespruce
Site Admin

Re: Documenting my first total thermally modified build vide

Post by whitespruce » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Well, I did some videos of Andy playing this guitar, and got one up on you tube. This is just done on Christy's Ipad, so the sound quality is not the best.

Here it is, I will do more tomorrow.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMuoBugsUw

G

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:20 am

One more

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgGxD72LcnQ

These are all informal and unedited.

BTW, these are all just bare fingers, no picks.

G