2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
timo

Re: 2 new bar fret guits

Post by timo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 am

Hi Grant, I have exhausted my search for this damned beryllium copper. In the insane past 15 months somehow this small box of goods has been placed somewhere in the shop or our warehouse or brought to a jobsite inadvertently and left. I simply don't know.

I decided I'd just get some more and get it cut up. Making inquiries I received this response from a vendor. I had no idea.

Tim,

I would not recommend using copper beryllium for guitar frets. the filing and polishing of the frets would be considered an inhalation hazard and would have to be done on a proper environment ( see http://materion.com/~/media/Files/PDFs/ ... toCuBe.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://materion.com/~/media/Files/PDFs/ ... ngCuBe.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Most luthiers probably would not be set up to do this.

We do make a non-beryllium containing copper alloys know as ToughMet3. The material we have is in the annealed condition with a hardness of 116HV. Probably too soft. It can be heat treated to achieve 300-320 HV. I see there are some 300 HV stainless steel fret wires out there , so I'm not sure this offers any advantage.

Regards,
Bob Kusner

To: BrushAlloys-Info@Materion.com,
Date: 10/06/2014 09:16 AM
Subject: Brush Performance Alloys Contact Us Submission

Company: Tahti Guitars

Email: tahtiguitars@earthlink.net

Comments/Info Needed: Hello, I would like to use beryllium copper as the fret material on a guitar in the manner of vintage bar fret frets. Commonly available nickel silver bar fret stock is .059" x .157". This size would be ideal but not necessary. I could use .060 or 1/16 sheet and have it waterjet cut to .157. If I could get a small quantity (6 x 24) of such a sheet that would suit me fine. If you have a better idea I am certainly open to hearing it. Thanks.

I'm posting this here because i think it is good info for all of us to consider.

I have not ruled out using the beryllium copper. I'm curious how you (Grant) or anyone else feels about it.

T

whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by whitespruce » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks for the info, Tim.

We do have many inhalation risks in lutherie and woodworking, in general, from wood dust to nitro. It would seem that filing frets would not produce much of the airborne fume type stuff, and the heavy filings should be relatively easy to deal with....way easier than the dust from filing and sanding pearl.

If I can find it in suitable sizes, I still plan to try it.

As an aside, maybe that is why drummers look like they do.....from polishing their beryllium copper cymbals :lol: :shock:

G

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Actually, if you follow the links above, you will see that potential hazards are quite low. For example, filing and sawing the metal are very low risk operations. The key risk is <1 micron airborne particles, and even at that it is not a carcinogen, it simply has the potential for developing a sensitivity to beryllium in a small percentage of people (about 1 in 20). Much more benign than wood dust.

I suspect that if you worked in a factory or machine shop where you dealt with this metal for significant amounts of time on a daily basis, it could become a problem. It would seem that leveling a fretboard once a month or so, taking reasonable precautions to not create/and protect yourself from breathable dust. would pose way less risks than many of the other things we do on a routine basis.

I really feel that BC bar frets offer an opportunity to significantly enhance the sound of a guitar, and am anxious to try it.

G

timo

Post by timo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Grant, I agree completely that the risks are very low. I just felt it necessary to share the info as I had never heard it. Personally I should be dead twice already and just got a clean bill of health a week ago. Karma I'm sure. Ahem😉! I had read your post earlier about the BC you have sourced. Great price, big minimum. I'm in, just contemplating for how much. I'll let you know. We are in Florida getting some work done and will get back with you early next week. T

timo

Post by timo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:07 pm

I just wanted to add that I also think this will be a great tonal addition to a very vital link. The fretboard and neck. T

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:51 pm

OK, as you can see in my other thread, I now have radiused frets in both phosphor bronze and beryllium copper. To get this show down the road a bit faster, I have switched plans a bit. For starters, I will make one guitar body and make two necks (PB fretted and BC fretted), that I can change out. I will also make a conventional fretted neck.

Need to finish a repair and clean out my shop, and then will be getting on with this.

G

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:09 pm

What you been up to, lazy bones? Watching Oprah on your 84" flat screen TV? :lol:
Dennis Leahy

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:49 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:What you been up to, lazy bones? Watching Oprah on your 84" flat screen TV? :lol:
Well, I finished the repair, and started cleaning the shop. But we also (Christy, Bonnie, and I) cleaned out the cave and are doing plans and starting work on our speakeasy. Made molds from some old used bricks and started casting brick veneer for some of the walls. And the beer kegs ran dry in the kegerator, but I have 3 new batches to keg up next week, so all will be fine.

And trying to stay warm. Wood for the fire place is stacked inside the back porch. The pace is not fast, but we are staying busy :D

G