Double Cut Santana build

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
gilmoreguitars
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Double Cut Santana build

Post by gilmoreguitars » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Howie
That is going to be spectacular!
Have you given thought to pick up choices yet?
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

howie123

Post by howie123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 am

Well the electric bits , picups etc are getting riflied out of my patrs bag, they are gold humbuckers in gold rings, coil tappable 'Rolling Mills' from Axetec here in the UK, as far as I recell they are slightly overwound and use alnico 5 magnets, http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar ... ps_033.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; heres the link , Ive used a few different models over the years and love them although my new favourites are sold by Axesrus and use plain enamel wire and alnico11's, there are the ones I used in the PRS build I posted on herehttp://www.axesrus.com/axehumbuckers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here's their link, the ones I used were the Bourbon City model, basically the same spec as the duncan 'Slash' PUP's, as for the other bits well they are all gold too , cheapo machine heads that work ok and an adjustadle wrapover bridge with tonepro's style locking posts also from axesrus, the posts ae sold seperately but work a treat at £4.50 with free postage
Chief Woodbotherer @ Littlefair Luthiery

howie123

Post by howie123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 am

just for you pic a holicsImageImageImageImageImageImageImage , now to find that truss rod and crack on with the neck, maybe spray the body first this time as Ive had colour bleed onto maple necks before so the neck pocket is masked off while I make my mind up what to do.... more pics to follow soon

howie123

Post by howie123 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 am

more pics as promisedImageImageImageImageImageImageImagefretboard glued and clamped using titebond and an old cycle innertube, by far the fastest , easiest and most affordable clamping method I've ever come acrossImage, so thats the body got 3 coats of laquer on it , the neck has the board and all the dots installed also the head veneer glued in place and trimmed to the head, tuner holes drilled through the head but ot the veneer as yet, frets getting installed today then the neck gets glued into placeand the spraying will continue till i'm happy with it , so I'm hoping there's no colour bleed now that the body has been sealed as I want the neck to stay fairly white and clean. All the relevant parts are laying in a box ready to be installed just as soon as the laquer cures... then its back to the Lefty PRS build and then maybe some more acoustic building

Down and Outman

Post by Down and Outman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Very nice build. Very informative. Guess I'm getting pickier at what impresses me in these forums. Your gave me some good ideas on how to build better. Nice axe you've got going on there. I like the way you lined up the dots on the neck. Simple things like that make a diff. Thanks for sharing.
The only experts are dead and retired. The rest of us are still trying to figure it out.

Gaber

Post by Gaber » Wed May 07, 2014 11:42 am

Hello, very good work. Please could you tell me some spec. For neck pocket with pickups (deep, wide etc). Distance from one pickup to another. I will also put tremolo. Where? Do you have some template with tremolo for sell? Or some png that I could make it? Or just for neck pocket and pickups.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Sorry for my bad english.

howie123

Post by howie123 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 am

i Gaber.... where are you based .... I could probably make a set of templates up from MDF but the shipping cost will be the killer

Matthew Jenkins

Post by Matthew Jenkins » Sat May 10, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Howie

Great build. I'm just starting to make some electrics but my knowledge is weak at best.

I looked at a Santana on the web after seeing your build and I noticed that they have a tremelo bridge (or maybe a hardtail bridge?). Would I be right in saying that this would mean that there is no neck angle?

Many thanks

Mat