A Pair of Ditsons

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: A Pair of Ditsons

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks Garry and Dennis!

Can you guess what I'm up to today?
And you see, I got a nice big roll of fretwire off ebay. It's tall, wide, and kind of pyramid shaped, normally used on electrics and bases. This is my first time to use it, I sure hope I like it, 127' of it, so I guess I better! :D
I fret my boards before gluing them onto the neck. Don't know if it's the best way, most seem to do their fretting later. But this does let me work on a solid granite block and so far it's worked for me, so. I've started cutting each fret as I need it rather than cutting them ahead of time and keeping them in order, doesn't seem any harder to me. One thing nice about cutting it off a roll is it's pre-radiused.

And I rub a little glue into each slot as I go, it seems to lube the slot and make them hammer in easier. Plus the bonus of a little glue in each slot seems like a little added insurance.

A little glue, rub it in and wipe it off with a damp rag.

Hold the fret with one finger in the center, tap in each end and then work it down the rest of the way. The theory being that by anchoring the ends first, when you tap in the middle it pushes the barbs on the ends sideways and anchors the ends.

So there we have both fretted, filed and side dots installed.

I made me a nice clamping caul to match the fretboard, and carved a relief down the center so the pressure is concentrated on the sides.

Remembered to put in my truss-rod, covered the slot with 3/4" tape to keep out the glue, spread it, removed the tape, and we're ready to clamp it down.

And there we have it. I'll get the second one glued down tomorrow.
Check you later,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:52 pm

Well, Joe, you're gettin' close now, and a fine job you are doing. Won't be long before we hear these babies and see how much different they sound.

G

MrZ

Post by MrZ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Joe ,it is realy nice.You doing great job on those babies.

Z

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Joe looking good my friend, and freting first hand before glueing works well also.
Your almost there!

Thxs
Hugh

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Way to go Joe. Making real progress.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Nice work, Joe! So, what's your magical secret for keeping the fingerboard exactly where you want it when gluing?

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

Dennis, on these I sawed the head plate right where I wanted the fretboard to start, so that registered them up and down the neck, and then I just tightened up my clamps in stages keeping the fretboard centered on the neck. Worked this time. :D Also the necks weren't carved down to exact size, so after the fretboards are on I was able to even everything up.

And I've made a little more progress, nothing major, but, I cut the troughs for the nuts, and roughed them out.

Then I started fitting the bridges,

Marked the back in pencil, stuck some adhesive 80 grit in the right location on the fretboard, used a piece of scrap to give me something to hang on to, and started sanding.

Until all the marks were gone and I had a good fit between the bridge and the belly.

And they're starting to look like guitars.

All for now,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:05 pm

That's a downright spunky way to profile that bridge my friend, Good on ya!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog