Electronic Inspiration

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Jason
Include Off Topic: Yes

Electronic Inspiration

Post by Jason » Fri May 31, 2013 7:49 pm

My #1 commercially made axe is a Japanese Fender Jaguar that came with two humbuckers and a TOM tailpiece. In case you're unfamiliar with this particular guitar, it comes with four two-way switches (a set of three on one plate, and the fourth off on its own) and four pots (two sets of two). I bought this guitar back in '05 because it had a 24" scale (the best scale) with my favorite neck profile (Fender C), a solid bridge (I don't like the tone sapping of a tremolo), it looks great, and it has a LOT of switches and space for all sorts of fun electrickery without making it look like it's been hacked up.

Presently, it has two very wide field (humbucker-sized) single coils, an on/off switch for each, a volume pot and a tone pot. Two switches and two pots are completely unused. Initially, I was planning to install a piezo equipped TOM, and use the switch/pot/pot plate to control it (maybe put the preamp between the pickups if it wouldn't fit under the plate). Since these plans were laid 7 years ago, my tastes and luthiery philosophy has changed...

So now I'm trying to think of some interesting things to do with the extra switches and space. I play mostly jazz, and occasionally rock (not a lot of effects, tone is very very clean and organic). Any thoughts on what might work well?
SAPERE AUDE

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Re: Electronic Inspiration

Post by Eben » Fri May 31, 2013 8:44 pm

All that sounds great,
But,
I got three words for ya:
Show
Us
Pictures

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Happy? :-)

The top set of controls are unused at the moment. The bottom set of switches from left to right are bridge pickup on/off, neck pickup on/off, unused. The knobs are volume and tone.

The pickups can not have their polarities switched. The wires out of the pickup are hot and shield.
SAPERE AUDE

michael

Post by michael » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I have a friend that wants me to make him an electric guitar along the lines of the Fender Jaguar, does anyone know where I can find plans for one?
Thanks Mike

Edward Taylor

Post by Edward Taylor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:43 pm

You could add a killswitch :D
As the famed philosopher, Pogo Possum’s friend Porky, observed, “There’s only two possibilities: Either we is the most intelligent life in the universe, or there is life out there which is more intelligent than we are. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought.”

dofthesea

Post by dofthesea » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:46 pm

try this site for a plan. http://www.guitarplansunlimited.com/jaguar_page.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Foster

michael

Post by michael » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks David, I'll look into that site for plans.
Mike