Curly Coco Dread w/externally adjustable neck

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Curly Coco Dread w/externally adjustable neck

Post by whitespruce » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

I am using this build to document my externally adjustable version of my adjustable neck joint. This is mainly because out of my current big batch of builds, I happen to have the top for this one already braced, the sides bent, and the back joined and profiled, so it is ready to go.

I have a bunch of photos to edit and upload, so give me a day or so to start putting up the details.

I am going to show the neck joint construction with all of the pertinant steps in the process so it is understandable for anybody who wishes to try it, and I will provide links to sources for all of the hardware. I will also try to include a few more of the "tips and tricks" of how I build without a mold and other details that I often overlook showing in my build threads.

I hope this will be of use to some folks here.

G

Marcus McGuinness

Re: Curly Coco Dread w/externally adjustable neck

Post by Marcus McGuinness » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 am

Sounds great, Grant. I'm looking forward to seeing the detail develop. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Mac

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm

I need to get this up to date. I have a bunch of photos to edit and upload. Gonna be way too cold tomorrow to get the shop confortable, so I will try to take the time to do this then.

The box is all closed and I have started bracing a top for the second of these.

G

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Yup, still need to post those photos :oops: :oops:

This one is also done and we played it at Stringfest last Summer. John Pribyl loved it.

G

flounder

Post by flounder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 pm

You know the rules! No photo = it didn't happen!

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Actually, I did post a bunch on this one, but I put it in the adjustable neck topic

Check this

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=3429&p=53654#p53654

I will get some "done" photos up

G

flounder

Post by flounder » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:29 am

Hi Grant, that is a really interesting concept but I think I am missing something! When you do the initial set up everything is fitted and looking hunky-dory. You then realise you have too high an action so you wind the lower bolt in to increase the back angle of the neck. Doesn't the heel bottom out against the sides? Do you have to floss the cheeks in the conventional manner or do you have a small gap between the heel and the sides so that further adjustment is possible? Sorry for being a bit of a dimwit!

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 am

flounder wrote:Hi Grant, that is a really interesting concept but I think I am missing something! When you do the initial set up everything is fitted and looking hunky-dory. You then realise you have too high an action so you wind the lower bolt in to increase the back angle of the neck. Doesn't the heel bottom out against the sides? Do you have to floss the cheeks in the conventional manner or do you have a small gap between the heel and the sides so that further adjustment is possible? Sorry for being a bit of a dimwit!
Actually the neck heel fits into a hidden pocket that goes into the neck block. The sides are removed at a line scribed along the edge of the neck heel, so not a problem. All of my adjustable neck guitars are built this way.

this should help in understanding viewtopic.php?f=88&t=475&p=52160#p52160

G