The past couple of months

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

The past couple of months

Post by whitespruce » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, I have a whole pile of stuff that I am behind on posting, so I will just give you a brief overview.

Besides putting together the kit packages and shipping out a bunch of big packages of wood, I have been busy with many other things, both lutherie related and non. Note: a few of these photos are a bit blurry, but I did not retake them. Will do so wlhen I post the "real" topics.

The Bohmann repair is finished, but I guess I have not posted the final photos...will do so.

There have been a few other minor repairs, but I never took any photos, so.....

But I do have this Stromberg from Bob's collection that I am doing a bit of work on. It was built as a "Hawaian" guitar with a high bridge for playing slide. Bob wants it to play normally, so it needs a lower bridge. Rather than alter the original bridge, I just removed it and made a different bridge. That way, the original one can always be replaced to get the guitar back to vintage.
Other than that, It just needs some cleanup and finish touchup. I will post some different photos in a separate thread.

The coco commission is coming along
Box is together, needs binding and finishing the neck

Greg has been over about one afternoon a week to work on his parlor. It is coming along nicely
Box is all done, just needs sanding. I will get this thread up to date soon. I have photos...just need to upload.

The "kit tutorial guitar" is way ahead of what I have posted
It is ready to have the back glued on. I have a boatload of photos that need to be edited and uploaded...I will get on that ASAP :D

I have several other guitars in process. Besides the Beng Jumbo, I have the start of a couple of dreads, one Goncalo Alves and one curly Coco
Backs

Bent sides

Tops

And I have the top and back glued up and the sides ready to bend for a coco OM cutaway

I am also getting read to start my first mando. Gonna be based on an early Martin with the 2 points on the sides. No photos yet, but I have the wood picked out and the hardware ready

Between building, I have been resawing more wood. Here are some stacks of backs and sides (bad photos, but you get the idea)
There is a bunch of Goncalo Alves, Central American Laurel, Mango, and Peruvian walnut here...so another wood sale coming soon.

And it is that time of year again for a bunch of the non-lutherie stuff
Hauling dirt into the tomato tunnel

The apricot tree is blooming too early, so I gotta play bumblebee, too

New irrigation lines in the tunnels

Getting the first plantings in

Some of the pepper plants to go out into the tunnels in about a month
Gonna be a busy Summer in the gardens because we have to supply a bunch more places with vegies.

Oh, and I have been working on the upper cabinets in the kitchen...lots of doors to build, now

And with the ice out and good weather here, we will soon be putting the top on the gazebo

Guess, that's most of it :D

G

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Re: The past couple of months

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm going to take a nap. I'm tuckered out just hearing about what you've been up to! :~)

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Slow down, Grant, you're making us all look bad!

Pat
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." — Tom Waits

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

BaldEagle55

Post by BaldEagle55 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow Grant,

Do you ever sleep? Maybe you have a secret formula that gives you energy.....if so I want some.

Tom
:D :D :D

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, I love all the pics, but I really love the tunnel shots!

:D

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog