Chambered, fanned fret first build

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
kmac_handyman

Chambered, fanned fret first build

Post by kmac_handyman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:08 pm

This has been a long time in the works and still long ways to go...
Woods:
Alder one piece body
figured maple top 
Maple and teak 5 piece neck
Figured bubinga fret board
Electronics:
Alnico 5 dual coil 22 pole humbuckers bridge and neck (carvin)
Passive and active control module (carvin)

The body currently is a take off of a strat but that may change in the coming days. I may segway into a les paul esque body style. Still undecided but i'll have to decide before I start the body this saturday.Image

I've already laminated the neck together. I will shape that after the body is well on its way. ImageThe body will be routed out to about a 1/4" or 5/16" wall but still keep the integrity if the body. Still on the fence about creating a sound hole on the side of the upper horn. I'll be using a multi scale calculator to help in the layout of the fanned fret board.  1.5" delta , 24.5 inch treble scale and 26 inch bass scale. Seventh fret perp. I'll be updating you guys on the progress as this will be my primary build thread.My question for those who have made semi hollow our chambered electrics is, would you create a sound hole or leave the body cavities sealed? To be continued...

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Chambered, fanned fret first build

Post by Eben » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Rye-T-Us!

bring it alive and on, we are diggin' it!

Urb
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

kmac_handyman

Post by kmac_handyman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:18 am

Thank E. Shop time this friday night and all day saturday. I played with the rendering I did to make it more les paul esque but didn't like it enough. I'll play more with it tomorrow butI may be leaning more heavily towards the les paul shape and not messing with it too much. Just have about of decisions ahead prior to making loads of sawdust.

mbp

Post by mbp » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Should be a nice guitar. I will be watching this one

kmac_handyman

Post by kmac_handyman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:18 am

Some of the work I did last weekend and today. Not going to chamber it. The alder body is light enough that I don't think it will be an issue being a thicker body. On to the pics.Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage 

whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by whitespruce » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:07 am

Looking good. So is that a different maple top than the one you originally showed? Nice job on the hand resawing.

G

kmac_handyman

Post by kmac_handyman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Yeah. The router depth gauge got off set and onceI noticed itI was into the body and through the to. Sad day. But gota deal on the flame and resawed it due to the bandsaw not being talk enough. I definitely have enough scrap gold now. I contoured the body with the belt sander at 100+ then palm sanded to 220. Once I get the binding installed I'll sand to prob 400 before staining.maybe after.

kmac_handyman

Post by kmac_handyman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Yeah. The router depth gauge got off set and onceI noticed itI was into the body and through the to. Sad day. But gota deal on the flame and resawed it due to the bandsaw not being talk enough. I definitely have enough scrap gold now. I contoured the body with the belt sander at 100+ then palm sanded to 220. Once I get the binding installed I'll sand to prob 400 before staining.maybe after.