Curly Maple Cutaway for Debbie

Guitars by Ray Feissli of Fort Worth, Texas
Raymond

Re: Curly Maple Cutaway for Debbie

Post by Raymond » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Finally got the finish applied and polished, removed the masking from the fretboard, neck, and bridge areas, glued the neck and fretboard on and used my jig to locate the bridge.

I then located and marked the bridge pin holes, then clamped the bridge in place with a caul underneath.

Using a hand drill, and brad point bit to help prevent bit wandering, I drilled out the bridge pin holes. I then reamed the holes to a tight fit for a bridge pin and using a bridge pin on each end to locate the bridge I glued and clamped the bridge in place. All that is left to do now is make the nut and saddle and do the final set-up. About a year longer than I had estimated, but nearing completion now...

Raymond
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

stevens
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by stevens » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Hey Ray !

Can it be true ? Looking like you might just be playing it this year. :D

This one has been a while in the making.
Guess life gets in the way when you have young ones at home.

You will have plenty of time to build guitars when you are an old guy.

This one does look very nice.

Steve
Remember it's the process of building you must love.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks Steve. It has been awhile. Thinking back on it, I don't think I made it out to see you at all in 2009!

It's good to get out in the shop, even if it is in the 40's out there...

Raymond

MrZ

Post by MrZ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Hey Ray,
been a while i wasnt here.Was busy but easy coming on trucks.Both guitars looks good, i bet will be more than two this year.

MrZ

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 am

Raymond,

That is really looking nice.

Mr. Z. Nice to see you again.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks Guys. Between traveling for my day job and finishing up Olivia's guitar I haven't made it here in a few weeks. Should be adding some posts here in a day or two though. I'm making the nut and saddle out of snakewood... but no pics at the moment.

Raymond

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

So much for back in a few days... This one has actually already been delivered to Debbie, and once again I was pushing to get it finished and didn't stop to take pictures like I should have. I did make the nut and saddle out of snakewood, and I liked the way it sounds, looks, and the workability of the wood.

I didn't take any pictures of the set-up phase, but will instead use pictures from previous builds.

Once cut to approximate size, I hand sand the saddle/nut until it just fits snuggly in the slot, then polish out the scratches with 400 grit which will usually take it from snug to just right.

I tend to follow Jonathan Kinkead's set-up procedure getting the bridge and saddle to approximate height and then cutting the slots in the nut until the string is just clear of the first fret when fretting between the second and third fret. I use a flattened pencil to mark the fret height onto the nut as a guide. Here is a picture of me doing that on a previous guitar.

I've been preshaping the nut to give about 1/16" above this pencil mark, but I've found that the slots are too deep and I end up having to take the nut down to touching the line. In the future if I'm doing my standard shape and neck angle, I will preshape the nut to just shy of the pencil mark and save myself some work. I used the string spacing rule from Stew Mac to mark the string slots giving 1/8" clearance on both sides.

Once I have the nut slots to the depth I want them, I then measure the distance from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. I shoot for 0.010" for the low E and 0.008" inch for the high E. This gives me a medium to low action which I tend to like. Debbie is just starting out so I went with a low action using light strings. As she develops she can add more relief to the neck and/or switch to a heavier string and gain a little more action. I also will replace the saddle on request as part of the limited lifetime warranty. I use the String Action Gauge from Stew Mac. It is much easier on these old eyes to see which column lines up with the bottom of the string than it is to distinguish between lines that are 0.01' apart.

I've had success with a compensated saddle so I will shape the top of the saddle to get a consistent height across all the strings, and then shape the saddle top for the desired intonation with extra compensation for the b string. Once I get the top profile the way I want it, I adjust the action of all the strings at the same time by removing material from the bottom of the saddle. Using the initial height suggested by Kinkead, I usually need to remove about 1/8" so I will use the bandsaw to get close and then sneak up on the saddle height using hand sanding on a flat surface. Sorry, but I don't seem to have ever taken any pictures of this stage...

Here are some shots of the finished product.

This is number 7, and is the easiest playing guitar of the lot. I think it has a nice sound, but I don't know how to play or record so don't have a sound file.

Thanks for looking,
Raymond

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Beautiful workmanship and beautiful guitar, Raymond! I'll bet she's thrilled.

Heck, if you can't play, aim a microphone or video camera at Debbie and let's see what she comes up with!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy