Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks Tom, glad you're watching!
Weather and life in general can sure 'nuff pull you away from the "important" things! :D

Well I decided to go with tortoise binding so I laid in the butt wedge,

And to show you I did get something accomplished during our loooong wet spell, here's my new Ribbecke type binding machine. I believe Chris Paulick had a thread on these on OLF and linked these photos at http://www.doolinguitars.com/articles/bindrout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I really believe I like the design of Dave White's variation of the Williams jig best, but I had everything on hand to build this one, so, here's mine.

This is my first time to use it, I've always just handheld the router before and wow is this nice!

So this is also my first time to do purfling. Just routing binding ledges with a handheld router was risk enough. This really takes a lot of the trauma out of routing ledges.

Binding and purfs next,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 am

Good to see you back at it Joe.

I have had some unforeseen developments myself which have changed my routine and shop time, but I will be back carving your neck during these next 4 days and will post some progress or update pics. We have decided to sell our place and move on, so who knows how fast that will happen? Anyway it has generated a job list for me. I will savor these moments in the shop over the next chunk of time.

I love seeing your shop Joe and how the guitar your are building for me is a part of that space. Tortoise shell~! ...wowow

more later,
Dean

conleym

Post by conleym » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:39 am

I'm getting caught up on the builds and saw this! Fascinating! I'll be anxious to see how it turns out and how it sounds!

Memphis Mark

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:23 am

Yeah, getting your house ready to sell and contemplating all that moving involves will sure 'nuff throw some wrinkles in your day to day routines! Where you moving too? Closer to okie land? :lol:

Thanks Mark, glad to have you along!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

stevens

Post by stevens » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Joe,

Just got caught up on this build. [I need to add here that I am always a bit of a skeptic when a guy like you calls himself "backwoods" - First time that happened I lost $20 on a bet. :? ]

I just knew you would have issues with the pre-stained top. Then you showed us plastic binding and now I can see how touch up with water based tea stains should work well. Watch out for swelling of the fiber perfling though when you put on the touch up. [Maybe you won't even need touch up - careful and slow]

Your linings answer many of my issues with the normal reversed kerf variety. Your technique creates little closed boxes with a lot of extra stiffness at the edges of the top and back plates. Laminated hardwood linings have become a feature with some classic builders. Your way will be just as stiff but I think lighter. Interesting.

I hope that when Dean and Dale come as far as your place to do the guitar trade they will think about coming on down here to Breckenridge. You come too - we have the beds.

Good to see you back building - but - I am sorry the rains seem to have slowed down some. We are still below average for 09 and need to catch up due to short falls in 08.

Hope it sounds the way you intend. I am always pleased when this happens to me on my builds.

Steve
Remember it's the process of building you must love.

the Padma

Post by the Padma » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:26 am

Yo, Joe

Gee Joe me should checked in on this build earlier...wow!

You gotts a lot of things going on in this build. Me likes the treatment of the top and the mouse hole in the top rib and the sculpting on the braces is well...sculptural ....with little overpasses and underpasses...me likes ....Gee you even puts in two "tweete" bars. Me like this box lots.

Then there are the pics of your shop...wow...the good lord must like you big time, him giving you such a wonderful space to work in, full of good light and plants and folk art.

Yay Joe.

blessings
the
Padma
The longest journey is from the head to the heart.

Nehemiah C

Post by Nehemiah C » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Joe;

Man, I'm impressed with your work! Just love the bracing, and it's so clean!,
I too noticed you have a lot plants in your shop area. Do they get dusty and have to be cleaned often? I'm anxious to see this one completed, so I'll be following closely.
That top makes me :P , looks great!
nehemiah covey

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm

Wow, guys you're gonna give me the big head! Sure glad to have ya'll looking over my shoulder!

Steve I still might run into problems with my "early" finishing of the top, probably not my smartest move! :D And yes, I'd love to come visit and see your work in person!

Thanks Padma, I have a sculptural background and do find the inside of the box the most beautiful and fascinating part of the build. It's sure satisfying my "sculptural" urges these days. And yes, I feel mightily blessed. Even though I never "made" it in the "art world", I noticed that when the real artists that I admired did make it, they took the money, moved to the country, built a bigger studio and just continued their work. So I just kind of bypassed the "game" (which didn't want to let me in) and went straight to the reward, country living, large studio, my own time. It's worked out pretty well, just on a more "primitive" level.

My brother worked in the sign business and got me two large lexan sign faces, so I de inked them and used them with spacers in between to give me a huge insulated skylight. So great light without electricity, which also gives me a great greenhouse like environment for the plants, which are all avocado plants Patty grows from the pits. So the price is right and I can work in beauty! :D

I'm very much an intuitive builder and tend to follow my muse as I build, same as I did as an artist. And most times, it works. At least it makes it an interesting journey. And thanks for keeping me company!

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut