Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!

Burst or Straight Amber?

Poll ended at Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 pm

3 tone burst, black/red/amber
38%
3 tone burst, black/brown/amber
38%
Keep it Amber
23%

Total votes: 13

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Post by Eben » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Ok, so first come bodies...

Yes, if we decide to build electrics on a regular basis, we can and should make our own, just like with acoustics;
but starting out, that can be kinda intense, so why not buy?

And if we do buy, where and what?

Well, like I said, I'm after a Tele Thinline and I wanted an Ash body. The thinline is cool for a few reasons - First off is the look, which is classic and sexy in my view; secondly, they're lighter than an old school Tele - If you've ever shouldered one of those night after night, you appreciate light, believe me. And third, the 2/3 hollow Thinline body makes for very cool sustain and tone - For a good while, semi-hollow Strats have been the cats meow for the same reasons. So with that in mind, I went lookin'...

Buying bodies retail will give you great quality, but you'll pay top dough too - While Allparts, StewMac, LMI and a few other places have house brand or no name stock bodies available, most builders go to what are considered the Big Boys of parter electric builds, Warmoth and Carvin: There you can get a top notch body made with a whole raft of options and woods - But they ain't cheap! A basic Ash/Ash body from Warmoth will set ya back three large, and that ain't cheap in my book! So with that in mind, eBay is a natural starting point, and your best bet if you don't want to pay retail: If you watch and search carefully, you can find a good quality Ash body for between $100 and $150 which is pretty fair really... And if you're Scots like me, you might poke around for months until THE deal shows up. This Ash body came from Best Guitar Parts eBay presence; they do very nice CNC bodies with very decent quality wood, so when I saw this one with a Buy It Now price of FORTY NINE bucks, I leapt, 'cause for this kind of thing, if you snooze you loose!

So there ya go, that's what we're startin' with!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Now ya done gone and done it Eben...I sold my 72 Thin Line Reissue some time ago. :( And now this little itch is popping up. :shock: The body I want to build with is Warmoth's Tele style with the contour cuts like a Strat. But....serious $$$.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 am

Electric uke...? Well it wouldn't be the first but it might be fun...hmmm

Glenn
Glenn Bosshard
http://www.hulamonkey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Hand built ukuleles
http://www.planetserenity.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Products to Nourish the Soul

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind. A. Einstein

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:
Eben wrote:Well cool; glad somebody other than me thinks it's a good idea....

E
I actually have several neck through-the-body electrics started. They fell off the back burner quite a while ago, but someday, some way, I've got to finish them up to justify carefully storing and moving them through several house moves.

So, I may not squeak much, maybe not at all during this thread, but this is info I'll probably refer back to "someday."

Thanks for documenting

Dennis
NOw boys, I do not want to be a hi jacker here...but DENNIS. Over the last couple years you seem to have started a whole lot of guitars, but if I am not mistaken I believe Angelina is the only one you have finished. I do realize that you are doing amazing work in keeping this community working, but, is it maybe time to step away from the key board and maybe pick up a chisel and start posting some guitar building?....In all good humored honesty...I am just sayin! ;)
Now back to building with wires n stuff.
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:53 am

Glenn wrote:Electric uke...? Well it wouldn't be the first but it might be fun...hmmm
Right you are, my friend! My playing partner and mando player extraordinaire, Harris Kirby, (Of Killbilly fame,
http://www.answers.com/topic/killbilly), has been chatting about an electric mando for some time, and we're gonna do one, solid body - And I think Dave White already did, or was that Martin? Anyway, there's one somewhere around here!

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:56 am

A quick note on scale length:

It matters on electrics every bit as much as it does on acoustics! This body was a good case in point; they're a reputable builder, but even still, you're wise to check: Pretty much all Teles and Strats are Fender 25.5" scale, but you need to ask! Also know that if you went the Warmoth, etc route, you can ask them to build a body to any scale you want and they will; and you will pay for it, of course!

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

BaldEagle55

Post by BaldEagle55 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Eben,

Can you speak to what to look for in a place like ebay. I have gone online and there is lots out there. My son has an Epiphone Les Paul and wants a Stratocaster. Should I look to buy a used body off ebay, a separate neck, pickguard with pickups and wiring. What kind of pickups etc.

My experience in buying guitars is limited to acoustics so any guidance here is greatly appreciated.

Tom

:D :D :D

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Eben,

I don't know one electric body from another. Here's a strat body offered on eBay, time almost up. 230323371423 Price now is $31. There is a thinline body, similar to yours, but different routings, up in 5 days, starting bid of $49, no bids so far. 170299850734 That's the one I'd like to bid on.

Then there are a few at about $200 Item no: 160313860485 and some more up in the $230- $290 range that look like yours.

Like Tom, I need advice. I surely don't want to spend $200, but I could go $100 if pushed.

See what happens when you offer advice?

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe