Olivia's Pink Paduak

Guitars by Ray Feissli of Fort Worth, Texas
Raymond

Olivia's Pink Paduak

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 am

Posted by: Raymond Jan 25 2008, 10:10 PM
Started this one way back when I last visited Steve Stevens. Brought some Paduak and Curly Makore to Steve who showed me how to get the most sets out of the wood and resawed it for me.

When I made the purpleheart guitar it was both Ben's and Olivia's favorite color, but since then Olivia has changed to pink. Didn't want to build another purpleheart anyway so it works for me. I let her pick through my wood and she chose the Paduak which is usually more orange while this board was pinkish.

Here I'm picking out the set for Olivia's which is going to be based on Steve's shape he used for Kathy's left hand guitar and most recently his mesquite builds.

Since it's based on a Steven's shape the mold was on hand... we went for it. Here I'm thicknessing the side

Setting it up to bend with a blanket. metal slat, aluminum foil, paper towel, wood (lightly spritzed with water), paper towel, foil, blanket, metal slat all taped together with metal tape.

Set it on 320 for 15 minutes, and bent it after it reached temperature for about 5 minutes on the first side and 10 minutes on the second.

Put it in the mold we had made

I think I should have gone a little thinner, especially since there was some curl to the wood, but both sides had some cracking in the lower bout mostly on the side designated for the back.

I was in the process of finishing Ben's purpleheart and my Maple cutaway so this sat in the mold for a couple of months. Recently, I cut some cauls shaped to match the bend and using a bending iron, wax paper and epoxy, I clamped the cracked areas into shape.

I think they will work, although I still plan to reinforce the area from the inside.

This was back in January, and there is more to come to get this caught up, but this is enough for now.

Raymond
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Olivia's Pink Paduak

Post by Eben » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one with eternal builds!

:lol:

Right on Raymond!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

stevens

Post by stevens » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:17 pm

Hey Ray,

Good to see you get this going again.

The epoxy fix will never be noticed.

Steve
Remember it's the process of building you must love.

MetcalfGuitars

Post by MetcalfGuitars » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey Raymond....how's it going?

How thin did you go on the padauk? I did one build and best i can remember i went to about 0.085 and it was still a bear to bend on the pipe. So, next set I'm still going thinner....0.070 to 0.075 or so and 0.080 for the back......GULP! :shock:

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:22 pm

Tim,

I need to start writing it down, but I think it was just a touch over 0.090. I remember it was very hard to even flex the short straight section on the pipe (between 2 cracks).

Thanks for watching.

Raymond

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Raymond wrote:Tim,

I need to start writing it down, but I think it was just a touch over 0.090. I remember it was very hard to even flex the short straight section on the pipe (between 2 cracks).

Thanks for watching.

Raymond
Raymond, Next time take it down to nothing over 0.080". Your bending will enter another world.

G

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks Grant.

Hugh said the same thing on my Maple Cutaway... Twice. :?

Next one will be .080 or bust ;)

Raymond

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:30 pm

Sorry Ray, I was trying to let ya in on a secret without trying to be too pushy. I know some rosewoods with alot of oils may bend ok at .085 or .090 but most wood likes to be down around .082" for good bending and cutaways will require around .078 this is my experience todate.

Padauk is a very nice sounding wood, almost a cross between walnut and maple sound too me. Very warm and soothing sound padauk is!

Great job Ray keep the pics coming.

Thxs
Hugh