In need of a Tele

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Dennis Mitchell
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: In need of a Tele

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 pm

A friend of mine that owns a guitar shop over in Frisco does a lot of *parts guitars* based on Strat and Tele body styles. LOTS of great options out there to build an axe with in that configuration!
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Here's a tip on parts guitars: different manufacturers' parts don't always translate. I.e. a guy brought me a guitar he'd built from parts that he got in a "kit" from a local music store (they just bought the cheapest stuff they could find from whoever they could get it). They were reputable parts people; Warmoth, Allparts, etc. but they did NOT play well with others. Nothing he could do would get that guitar to play, and there was a good reason. The parts just didn't fit. Moral of the story is make sure the parts are made to the same spec.

Jason.
SAPERE AUDE

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Excellent point Jason! Most reputable parts distributors will tell you what combination work and won't work. So make sure Neck from Dealer A will fit the body from Dealer B!
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Dang it, Wes;

Ya gave me the bug!

I found a new Ash Tele Thinline body on eBay and actually got it for less than I bid - Now I'm doin' a parter, durnit!!

:lol:

I'm gonna make my own neck and just do one up!

P.S. - I've put Stew Mac on Warmoth/All Parts/etc and vice versa; you just really have to measure everything up and carefully plot out where you need to go to make things fit - As Jase noted, not everything will, but with some gentle and sensible modding, you can get most things done. I think the easiest and funnest option is to do what I'm gonna do here - Find a body you like and make your own neck for it.

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

westex93

Post by westex93 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:41 am

Hey, if I can't be good for nuthin' else, I can always be a bad influence!

I've been too bowed up at work to even do much pickin' on my new one, much less building. I did have to repair a broken neck heel on one of mine and have a bridge replacement/refret for a friend on the bench right now I'm trying to wrap up in my "spare" time. :roll: Sorry I don't have time to pop in here that much.

I "will" still get into building electrics sometime soon, though.

Wes McMillian
Santo, TX
http://www.wesmcmillian.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;