David W, E3 for School Credit

Guitars by Todd Lunneborg of Andover, MN
tlguitars
Include Off Topic: Yes

David W, E3 for School Credit

Post by tlguitars » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:22 am

Another build. I have had a series of shop assistants and apprentices that come to my shop and build guitars. High school aged kids and adults. David's the 7 th that's come to make their own guitar. David's been working on this guitar for a quite a while and is nearing the end of his build. His school is letting him get credit for his work as part of a "Mentor-ship for credit" program they have. He's going to be posting pic's here and will be maintaining the progress of this build from here on out.

So to catch you up. He's building an TL Guitars model E3. A neck through carved top where the center core lines show through the top. He has done all of the work so far himself. The top carve, gluing all the neck laminations, the belly carve, body profile route, pick-up cavities, everything. Yesterday he drilled out the input jack recess and designed his own electronics cavity, made both of the routing jigs and routed the main cavity.

I act as his how to book. I tell him all the steps in my process and he makes it work, while I watch. I have done a few of the essential scarey power tool steps but for the majority he has done all the the work, say 98% so far. So we're going to use this build space so his teacher and principal can also watch his progress as well. You don't need to wish him luck, he's a natural.

What's left, He's planning to use some Hondouran Rosewood for the fretboard and head plate. Ebony rings for inlay on the board and a Black TL logo. Everything out of my shop gets my logo, students basically end up with one of my designed guitars that they built. He's planning a Ruby Red Burst with gold hardware. Should be great.

Dennis Mitchell

Re: David W, E3 for School Credit

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:35 am

Very cool Todd! :mrgreen: Wish you had been down here with such a program when I was in high school. I might have given wood shop a more serious looking into instead of taking auto shop. :roll:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

tlguitars

Post by tlguitars » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 am

Looking great.

I'm with Dennis. Wish we would have had the opportunity to do something like that when I was a kid. :(

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff