A "Nido Kora" or "The Bavarian Barbarian Box"

Times are tough, the world's economy is takin' a beating; What should conscientious luthiers do in response?! How about some scrounge builds! Nothin' fancy, nothin' from far away, and lots of imagination...
Felix Trebol

A "Nido Kora" or "The Bavarian Barbarian Box"

Post by Felix Trebol » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:25 am

Hey guys,

Here comes my very first attempt to ever build an instrument. It´s literally from my backyard.
I live on a 300 year old farm in rural Bavaria in the south of Germany. Behind the farmhouse is a huge shed full of wood, of which some must be from times that Bavaria was still a kingdom. Last year I found a nice long chunk of wood and since someone gave me a little wooden suitacase that was originally for storing oil paints, I put those parts together, put a nice long bridge on it and strung it up as what I call "The Bavarian Barbarian Box" or "Nido Kora". It´s set up like a Kora, in the way of a double harp. However it´s got only 8 strings, because the wooden box sure wouldn´t take the string tension of 21 strings that press onto that little bridgepatch. On the bottom is a metal ring fixed with a couple of massive screws. It´s got no soundhole, is strung up with nylon classical guitar strings but the wood responds really well, so it got a very destinctive sound. And it´s not bad at all. It´s very warm and quite loud. I play it with a friend who plays the djembe from time to time and it actually works together volume-wise. However mainly I use it as a practice instrument for excersises in two hand picking. It´s like picking two guitars at the same time. At first it was really weird, but after a while on gets the hang of it. So in January I plan to start building a full-grown kora with a tone wood body and 21 strings.
I wouldn´t call it Lutherie, I´d call it putting-a-stick-through-a-box, but the result is a playble instrument with a nice sound. And you defintelly draw attention, when travelling with that thing by train. It´s still a suitcase with a handle, so when I travel I really just carry it like a piece of luggage. A piece of oddly stringed luggage.

mziegler

Re: A "Nido Kora" or "The Bavarian Barbarian Box"

Post by mziegler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am

Welcome Felix, Sounds like you live in a very cool place and have at least one friend who is a kindred spirit in music--who could ask for more! I don't know the history of the instrument you plan to make but your initial attempt with "found" objects is really cool. Luthiers tend to be a traditional bunch who look to the most minute detail and sometimes even forget that the object that they are working on is intended to be played. It is refreshing to see someone come from the other end where the music is the entire object. I think both approaches can lead to fine instruments in the long run with open minds and hearts.

Keep us posted on your projects and that woodpile sounds like it could be a goldmine.

MikeZ
Jerry Garcia said of Clarence, "He brought a kind of swing, a rhythmic openness, to bluegrass ...Bluegrass is a kind of forward-leaning music. Clarence's playing was way in the back of the beat, and so added an openness that was really breathtaking."