Double Cut II

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
howie123
Include Off Topic: Yes

Double Cut II

Post by howie123 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:42 am

Well Im still in the Electric guitar building mode at present and thanks to the warm foggy weather we've had in not so sunny Sunderland recently and being less than 2 minutes walk from the North Sea theres a lot of water getting turned into humidity literally just down the street! I just can't get the relative humidity below 60% in my shop so I'm trying to fill my time with projects less affected by this humidity level, the actual humidity outside the shop is in the high 80% range most of the time so maybe I need to find a newer dehumidifier for the shop. Anyways I digress. Following the first Live road test of the first DC build that I documented which astounded evrybody who tried it. I decided to make another but with a Tremomlo and no Maple cap, just a huge lump of Sipo Mahogany 15.5" x 2" and a nicely quarter sawn scarf jointed Sipo neck blank. This build is progressing a lot more quickly as I already made the templates for the first DC and the Sipo carves a lot faster than the Maple did. Also I'm a little more confident with the whole carving issue having practiced it a lot recently, in particular on the Mando Build I have underway currently. The PUPs I have for this guitar are the same spec Alnico II 4 conductor jobbies in Zebra with chrome surrounds I used on my PRS24 build, the Trem is a steel big block Wilkinson with vintage spec pressed steel saddles. Im using this as I had 2 of them laying around having got the pair of them real cheap a few years back..... Its amazing what I can find when I tidy out the parts bag! There's even a full set of Lace sensor PUP's in there from an old Eric Clapton Model Strat I forgot I had and the Scratchplate.... and well the list just goes on and on! So back to this build. Im using bone for the nut as on most of my guitars and the tuners are very cheap but good quality back locking items same as the ones I used on the PRS24. I took a punt on them as they were £12.00 and that included postage from Hong Kong! They always turn up at my door within a week and they always mark the package with a value of ten dollars no matter what else is in there which saves on import fees and Duty! They aint Sperzel or Shaller quality but they do work well enough for me and dont cost anywhere near big brand prices. For those of you interested in trying them out http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/skull_music&s ... 1543.l2533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they stock a lot of parts fo a lot of instruments and are I believe actually the manufacturers.
Back to the build... not so many pics as I usually take due to dodgy camera but enough to show the progress so far... at this point I have less than a full work days invested in this project....so Im getting faster.... so heres the body blankImage back routing completeImage and the front with some harware in place prior to carving the front. at this point I even considered leaving the front flat but i just couldnt bring myself to do it! the first stage of the front carve using the safe-t-planer instead of my usual router method, it removes more wood faster this way although the router still has its placeImage and on to my favourite little carving planeImage and if youv'e seen any of my other builds you'll already know that the scraper follows the planeImage now not my usual method of removing wase from the neck blank but having seen several people employ this method in this forum I decided to give it a try and it worked out just fine and saved me a fair amount of time to boot!.... always learning and willing to try out new methods if the key here I thinkImageImage the bandsaw aint running here, just thought i'd take this pic to better demontrate what I did. It may seem obvious to you all who use this method, but its new to me and may well be new to others who view this post so bear with me.Image my trusty old spoke shave, of which I now seem to have three following a bit of a tidy up and sort out.... the workshop itself is still a work in progress and a lot of stuff still does't have a permanent home yet and I'm holding off building cupboards and shelving for the time being as there are a lot of people doing home improvements in my local area and just throwing away old kitchens and the like. If I see anything in the skip outside the property I'l just knock on the door and ask if I can take stuff. Usually they let me as I'm probably doing them a favour and saving them money on further skip hire. A lot of my template material comes from this source, MDF and chipboard etc. It saves me money and is better for the environment as I reuse it and any scraps to small to use go in the fire!Its a win win situation as far as I'm concerned m my workshop doors also came from this source and due to the age of the properties in my area the doors are often 38" wide and made properly from good materials. anyways back to the build and another useful tool I forgot I hadImage attaching the board to the neck using rubber bandsImage first off I apply titebond original to the neck and rub the board to increase the initial grab of the glue, I then slide it into place having marked both end locations in pencil. I then apply clamping pressure using whatever clamp falls to hand at one end of the board trying to get the clamp right on the centreline. Having the clamp on the centreline right at the end of the board allows the self centring action of the long rubber band to align everything as the number of wraps increases. The first run of wraps are done nice and tight leaving a fairly wide gap between turns, allowing the observation of glue squeeze out and any slippage of the board on the neck. once I'm happy that nothing has moved I continue to wrap the band tightly until its all used upImage the end of the band in this case was tied in a loop and stretched over the headstock even a little spring clamp will do the same job. Back to the body pics I use a long 8mm brad point bit to drill for the wiring channelsImage the bit itself is about a foot longImageand another use for those litle brass plated cup hooks, I use them to hang guitars during the fnishng process and screw them in where the strap button or end pin will eventually live. now they save me shelf space and keep things clear of the benches . All in all I'm very happy with the progress Ive made on this guitar in such a short space of time
Chief Woodbotherer @ Littlefair Luthiery

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Re: Double Cut II

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 am

Gonna be a beauty. That was an exceptional piece of ultra-straight grain, ribbon striped Mahogany for the neck. The body blank is extremely well quartersawn too. If you tell me you're going to paint the guitar some opaque color, I think I'll cry.

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

howie123

Re: Double Cut II

Post by howie123 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 am

Yeah dennis I got the Wood from a local Timber yard, the block I made the nack fron cost £21.00 and I got 6 necks from it the body is also perfectly quartered and came as a 15.5" board 42" long by 2".... so i got the leftey PRS and this guitar outta that , Its all Sipo Mahogany though but it rings better than any other True Mahogany I've used, and yesterday I went back to get some more and ended up with Sapele this time which I found is almost Identical to the sipo soundwise and when I started planing the edges discovered it was full of little blister quilt bubbles... not sure thats the technical term, so another happy surprise for me there!.... and as for the finish on this baby, I'm going down the stain and laquer route though I'm still undecided as to the colour I'll use though all the hardware is chromed with the pup's being Zebra coils.
I'm also considering inlaying the back of the neck on this one too. Ive only ever done small inlay projects in the past an ya gotta start somewhere ....right?.. Glad your enjoying the buid so far
Chief Woodbotherer @ Littlefair Luthiery