My new "Marlin" shape!

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
verhoevenc

My new "Marlin" shape!

Post by verhoevenc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Just finished it up and am very happy with it. It's a very aggressive playing and sounding guitar, which I think fits the look (although I still think she's elegant). I call her the "Marlin" and this is the prototype for the shape. I called it this because I thought the upper bout looked like a sail, and the lower horn a fin, so a Marlin came to mind. Funnily enough, when I told Myka about this he goes, "That's funny! I have some Marlin horn!" So he handed it over and now the nut is made from Marlin Sword! And it works and sounds great! Always nice when experiments go well.
So lets get down to the details.

The body is African Mahogany with a carved flamed hard maple top. Bound in bolivian rosewood with a single black line purfling on the top. Finished up with a green to blue burst (cariburst?) in nitro, except for the ebony cavity cover done in tru-oil.
The neck is sapele with 1 3/4" marlin sword nut and a 25" scale bolivian rosewood fingerboard with binding to match the body. The inlay is a marlin in blue abalone and white MOP. Headplate and backstrap are striped ebony and flamed maple with my signature "route down" headstock.
Hardware consists of a tonepros TOM with an ebony/maple/striped ebony tailpiece of my design. All hardware is gold obviously hahaha.
The pickups are Lollar imperials (which I highly recommend!) with more bolivian rosewood, the pickup rings.
The controls are a 3-way and a volume and tone for each pickup. The tones each have a push/pull that lets you take either pickup from series to parallel.
Chris

Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: My new "Marlin" shape!

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 pm

Wow! Yeah that is nice Chris!
I'm not an electric player, but maybe if I had something like that..... :D

Excellent,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Really beautiful, Chris!

I saw when you first hit that color scheme, and commented positively at the OLF, but I got the impression you were going to go back down to wood and try something else. I really like it, and you did capture some deep Caribbean mojo in that color scheme.

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:51 am

Looks great Chris. Nice work.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

verhoevenc

Post by verhoevenc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 am

Dennis. I did sand everything back. It was first done in dye and the east coast maple just didn't take the stain even, so I sanded it back. What you see now is an airbrushed tinted lacquer burst.
Chris

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 am

Very VERY cool, Chris, great shape, scheme, colors, everything - Sleek indeed!

How about a sound file?

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 pm

That's a great lookin' electric Chris.
Congratulations-Very nicely done.
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

verhoevenc

Post by verhoevenc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Boy a sound file will be diffiult! I'm at the healdsburg show helping out a friend right now, then I'm home for 2 days before I ship off to Europe for grad school. And the guitar will hopefully be sold or at a dealer by the time I get back :S
Chris