Crate top '51 Tele build

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Tedward
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Crate top '51 Tele build

Post by Tedward » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

While cutting one of the top pieces a part of it broke off. Evidently there was a crack that I didn't see. No problem I'll just glue it back together and it will add more character.Image
I figure now is the best time to do the "F" hole. Any time I had to use tape on the top I used blue painters tape so that there would be as little damage as possible when It was removed.Image
I used drill bits for the upper and lower parts so that I would have a place to start cutting with the coping saw.Image
ImageImage
With the top glued together it's ready to be glued to the bodyImage
The top was glued on with epoxy and the sides of the body were taped off to keep the squeeze out from staining the mahogany.Image

Tedward

mziegler

Post by mziegler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am

Wow love the graphics and how you put the drop top together. How are you going to handle the finish over the rough surface?

MikeZ
Jerry Garcia said of Clarence, "He brought a kind of swing, a rhythmic openness, to bluegrass ...Bluegrass is a kind of forward-leaning music. Clarence's playing was way in the back of the beat, and so added an openness that was really breathtaking."

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 am

On with the build. Final shaping is done and a 1/4" round over on the top and back. Back and sides are sanded down to 400 grit. I forgot to take pictures of the grain filler that I used. It was StewMac's Timbermate ebony. I taped off the top where it meets the back so that only the mahogany is exposed and applied the filler. This stuff is great it dried in about an hour and was ready to sand. I started sanding with 220 by hand and decided it was going to take too long. Out comes the orbital sander with 320 and five minutes latter it was done. The black grain filler filled the grain and also slightly stained the mahogany. Just what I wanted.Image Final sanding with 400 and it's ready for the finish. As to the top the finish was applied the same as the back and sides. I like the way the nail holes are showing. Image

Tedward

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 am

mziegler, the top will be finished as it is. I can't sand it, I'll remove the graphics. The finishing will be in the next post.

Tedward

mtracz

Post by mtracz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 am

Way too cool!

Can't wait to see this one come together.

Thanks for sharing Tedward!!!

_Mike
Mike Tracz

MCT Guitars - Handcrafted to Inspire
https://MCTGuitars.tumblr.com/

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Finish time!!!
The finish I used was Target water borne clear coat. Since I don't have sprayer It was brushed on. I know what you're thinking "brushing a clear coat are you crazy". After doing several guitars this way I'm getting pretty good at it. Just as good as sprayed on. The waterborne dries fast enough to do at least four coats in one day. after three days and twelve coats (except for the top and it got six coats because it wont be sanded and polished) it hangs to dry for five days. Ok, polish time. First thing to do is tape of the top again. The last time. Look at that shine and that's before polishing! ImageImage ImageImagebefore sandingImageafter wet sanding with 1200 and then 3000Imagea little polishing with McGuire's Mirror Glaze #7Imagewhat a shine!Imagenow put it together and the end resultImageImageImage

Tedward

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 am

Cool Bass with the dynamite top!!
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

whitespruce
Site Admin