Ladder Braced 12 String, Long Scale

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Ladder Braced 12 String, Long Scale

Post by Eben » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:10 pm

Nice work all around, Joe - I love them Bridge Docs, too!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Okay...I have heard of these bridge doctors, but have no experieince with them. I have a 12 string that I built several years ago that has a severe belly buldge that makes it almost impossible to set up proberly. How do they work, what do they look like, and where do you get them. Ya see...even us old dogs have stuff to learn.
thanks
David

ps
may someone could start a new thread in the repair section
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I'm sure enjoying playing her. These old guitars like they used in the 20's and 30's are what got me started building. The good old Stella types and especially the long scale 12 strings were just out of my reach. But I'm playing now!

David, stew-mac carries the bridge docter, just 22.50 for the one I used, you do have to drill a hole in your bridge for attachment. They have another model that uses special brass bridge pin bolts that is 52.75. If you've got a stew-mac catalog you can see a picture. So basically it's bolted to your bridge and via an adjustable pressure post transfers the stresses to the end block. Somewhat like the sound post in a violin or upright bass.

This is the first time I've used one, but I'm very pleased. Holy Ghost here has a long history with 12's and said he puts them in all of his.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Joe,

Do you ever sleep? You are tearing the place up.

Great looking guitar.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey guys this is an update.

I've been aware for some time that the trebles seemed weak on this, and I just ran into this on my Ditson ladder brace where I tried a bridge doctor because of bellying and found that it really weakened the sound, especially the trebles. So I just went and pulled the BD out of this one and it really opened the sound back up. Now this one has an extra brace in front of the bridge so I think it will be all right.

Scale on this is 26 1/2" and it's tuned down two full steps to a C, giving you that old time 12 string sound. Sounds much more open. As I found on the Ditson, the BD certainly will save a guitar and level the top, but it leaves the sound kind of compressed, dampens the sparkle.

Least that's what I found,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Nehemiah C

Post by Nehemiah C » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:45 pm

D*#@ Joe, you sure do build nice guitars. With that longer scale , how does it sound? I suspect it has a wee bit of bass?
nehemiah covey

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks Nick, yeah the old blues guys often referred to these long scale, low tuned 12s as "lap pianos". Just wish I could make them talk like those guys could! I'm trying though. :D

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut

WaddyT

Post by WaddyT » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Outstanding, Joe. You are on a roll!