Curly Maple Cutaway for Debbie

Guitars by Ray Feissli of Fort Worth, Texas
Raymond

Re: Curly Maple Cutaway for Debbie

Post by Raymond » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:03 am

Not alot to the soundport for me, Dennis.

My Grandfather on my mother's side was decendent from the samurai and our family crest was 9 circles, 8 surrounding a larger one in the middle. I drew it out on paper to get the scale and then marked it out on the rim.

I used forstner bits and tried to put something behind to prevent chipout, but I got some anyway. I had put some veneer as reinforcement in the area of the soundport, and the outer layer of that seemed to be the most susceptable. I think the bit for the inner circle is a little dull as it kept giving me trouble.
I used veneer to form a b/w/b with maple on the outsides and the depth is such that I can't see the inner most layer of Maple. So I just cleaned up the hole from the inside. As a side note, I really liked the way the holder worked. I made the giant washers and both curved boards out of the same piece of wood in my scrap bin. Afterwards I realized it was some local mesquite someone had given me. I guess I can use it now for either category of backyard build... ;)

I held off gluing the back until the soundport was done.

Now I just need to trim off the overhang and the body is ready for binding... I'm going with walnut to match the center stripes on the neck and back.

Raymond

Thanks for the kind words Joe.
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 am

Haven't taken many pictures lately, but I did trim the purfling ledge on this one.

It's going to be abalone, hence the wider than normal shelf.

Raymond

Green Mountain Guitars

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:01 am

Very nice Raymond! You go git' em'! :mrgreen:

I see that you are doing sound ports now. Welcome to the dark side Luke! :twisted:

Glen

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by Eben » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 am

Hey, right on Ray!

I'll go to school on ya, as my next one, believe it or not, also will have abalone rosette and purfling.

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 am

Hey Ray
I just went over this thread...nice save on the sides. I usually got to between .080 and .085 thick on my side. Granted, I usually don't use that severe a bend on my cutaway either..but, I have not cracked a side in years...knock on wood!!

The sound port looks very classy, and I like the fact that it has personaly conection to you and your family. I wish I had more knowledge of the Samurai...unfortunately all I know is what I see in the movies.

Happy new year!
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Looking nice Ray! You're in Ft. Worth correct? If so, and should you get the itch for more Mesquite, let me know. There's a source not too far to the north. Let's say, between me and Vince Pawless' shop! Eben? You up to killing a few band saw blades??? :twisted:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Dennis,

Anything big enough for backs or sides? Might consider it for the Backyard build.

Raymond

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:35 am

If you go dig around a bit, yes! Mesquite doesn't cooperate well for being on quarter though. Last time I was up there he had some really nice boards with TONS of figure sitting out back. Another thing, he doesn't actually carry luthier specific cuts, as he is primarily geared towards furniture makers. All of the mesquite is cut on site from some huge logs.

Have a look! http://www.woodsofmissiontimber.com/index.html

Maybe met up with you and Eben someday for a bite to eat around Denton, then head up to Sanger? :idea:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO