Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!

Burst or Straight Amber?

Poll ended at Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 pm

3 tone burst, black/red/amber
38%
3 tone burst, black/brown/amber
38%
Keep it Amber
23%

Total votes: 13

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Post by Eben » Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Hey, Jim and Tom - You guys awake?

I'm FINALLY back at it, and we're gonna go into electronics pretty quick here if'n you don't say different...

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Rod True

Post by Rod True » Fri May 01, 2009 10:52 pm

E, fun looking project. That's one nice paddle you got there :D (the headstock)

Seriously, great job so far. What's the finish going to be? (I've not read all the posts, just being a picture pig :D )
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my shop

Tassie Blackwood/Lutz OSJ build

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Fri May 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Bring on the electronics Eben! :D I've got a Warmoth body coming, and snagged a fender 3-way switch today. So a little edumacation on volume and tone pots would be a sweet deal. Gonna toss a set of P90's in this one. Once I get the remaining details and game plan going, I'll get a thread started.

And thanks for the recommendations on the book, along with all the other good info you've provided. I'll be reading over it several times before this axe is done!
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

BaldEagle55

Post by BaldEagle55 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:16 am

Eben,

I am alive....just barely.....damn cold knocked me flat this week but I am recovering and I am watching and learning.....go for it bud.....let the electronics sing!!!!!!

Tom
:D :D :D

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sat May 02, 2009 9:39 am

Rod True wrote:E, fun looking project. That's one nice paddle you got there :D (the headstock)
Seriously, great job so far. What's the finish going to be?
It IS, ain't it? For $80 from WDBiz, I couldn't say no - After checking over the first one and finding it very well made, I ordered two more!

I'm leaning toward a vintage amber clear finish - That's what my minds eye says is gonna be coolest...

Dennis - As you wish, Brotha

Tom - Don't screw with it buddy - That's what ended up pneumonia on me, and I'm just over it in time for Swine Flu to arrive; Gee, I work in the bowels of a church with 1400 members every day, I wonder why I'm so susceptible?

:roll: :shock:

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sat May 02, 2009 5:12 pm

OK, well this next phase we all know real well - Finishing of body and neck. I do that before I do any guts work, and I think most 'lectric builders do...

So first goes sanding sealer, grain fill to follow: The whole thang is Ash, so it's got some big ole pores; The sealer coat raised grain like nobody's business, so I'll sand 'er back to 320 before I got to pore filling. With the sealer I go everywhere, each pocket, etc - The rest I do not - I want a thin protection coat, but I don't want to screw with my fine fit work.

Urb

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Eben,

Thanks for all the pix and posts. I'm still alive, :mrgreen: and working on the 3 double O builds, mostly. But I've taken some time out to train for the 33rd running of the Indianapolis Mini Marathon that took place today. I'm one of 14 people in this group of 35,000 runners who has taken part in every one of the 33 races. They give us free entry to the race each year since the 25th running. While I used to finish in the top 2or 3% overall when I was in my 40s and 50s, I'm content to tell you that I finished just above the last third of the runners today. Not sure where I placed in the age 70-74 group. Next year I'll be the youngster in the 75-79 group with a better expectation of placing well. I'm a little sore from running/walking 13.1 miles, (just under 3 hours) but very happy and content. So content I don't feel like working on a guitar today! :lol:

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 pm

OK, here's da scoop as far as what I do with this grain filler - I ain't the end all to be all, but this works for me, so take it with a big ole grain o' salt:

I mix Target's high solids grain filler with System 3 silica thickener - This'll sound stupid, but I look to make a mix that is the consistency of a sugar glaze like ya do for hot cross buns or cinnamon rolls - Thin, but like syrup - I mix it just like I do that glaze, with a fork, 'cause the silica is a lot like 10X sugar, so...

Anyway, I sand back to 320, going 180, 240, 320, then lay the filler on; it is quite thin, so there's no build up to sand off, etc - It may take 2 coats on real porous wood, but hey, so it goes, eh?

Hey Erik - Them last two pics, they're gettin' a tiny bet better, ain't they?

;) 8-)

Thanks for looking,

Urb

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog