Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!

Burst or Straight Amber?

Poll ended at Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 pm

3 tone burst, black/red/amber
38%
3 tone burst, black/brown/amber
38%
Keep it Amber
23%

Total votes: 13

Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Post by Eben » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 pm

OK, screw that;

Here's the deal - I figure, I said 'parter' and that's what it should be, in all respects - AND, realistically, if we wait 'till I have time to to make a neck, well...

So I ordered a neck from WDBiz - Maple and Ebony paddle head made to fit a Tele, but some assembly required; we'll need to fine tune the neck for the pocket, and do some fret and setup work, but that's good experience and typical for dealing with a true parter. So here's the neck - Oh, FYI it was $85 all told.

So, now we can get this done in a more timely manner!

Red I, Jim?

:mrgreen:

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I's reddy, sir!

I'll put plugs in the inline holes and veneer the head back and front with somethin'. I guess I had better check max and minimum head thickness first. I have a maple fretboard that seems quite thin to me. But I could put the frets in now, couldn't I? And the dots. I have a black plastic rod for that. Is your fretboard already glued to the neck?

Since you showed me yours, I'll try to show you mine tomorrow! :ugeek:

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:10 pm

mine's all fretted, glued, etc - I just gotta do up the head profile, etc, but I'm good for that!

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

BaldEagle55

Post by BaldEagle55 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Eben,

Just a gentle prod on this one. I know Jim and I were really interested in seeing you do this parter guitar.

How is it coming and when do we get more pics?

Tom
:D :D :D

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah, you guys, my wife and the damn guitar!

;) :lol:

I'll be back on it VERY SOON!!

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Ok, onward!
Biggest to do with this kinda thing is the neck to body connection when the parts come from different makers. Right off the bat, first thing to do is fit the two together and see what ya got.

In this case, they’re close but not nearly good enough. We have fit issues at lower bout to neck and front of neck to neck pocket. I look it over carefully, mark what needs to go with pencil, and then very slowly and carefully make the needed adjustments. This one took some wood removal from the front face of the neck and some re-contouring of the neck block where it hits the lower bout. I use a stainless steel micro whatever – The plastic handled thing has a blade like a high-end sureform, it works great on Maple. Then smoothed with a chisel, then sandpaper 80 grit through 220. I fit things a bunch of times of course, carefully taking neck off each time.

When I’m done, I check the orientation all around, first as to center of body, then to vertical alignment. Fenders and clones don’t have a neck relief angle like a Les Paul does, so the important thing is that the neck and fretboard are even height and dead perpendicular to the body, as well as confirming fret scale against the neck and the whole shebang. It took about an hour and change, but it ended up right on, so I drilled neck screw holes in to the neck blank and then carefully screwed ‘em in with the neck plate. That’s when I realized I forgot black neck screws, so until I get ‘em, I used nickel…

I think it's lookin' pretty skookum!

:D

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Dave Higham

Post by Dave Higham » Fri May 01, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Eben,
I'm a newcomer on this forum and I'd just like to say what an excellent tutorial this is.

In the last 5 or 6 years I've been making electric basses. I've only made 4 but each one has been totally different from the others.

I'd like to suggest to anyone wanting to make a first electric instrument that, as a complement to your tutorial, they get hold of a copy of 'Make your own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock. I (and a lot of other people) consider it to be the 'Bible' of electric guitar building. For those who aren't familiar with the book, he shows in detail how to make a neck-through, a set-neck (Les Paul type) and a bolt-on (Fender type) instrument. He also shows how to build an instrument from modified parts. Everything you need to know (electrics, finishing, etc.) is in there.

Hope you don't mind me chipping in Eben.

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am

Hey, Dave, WELCOME

and you're right on - That book has a prominent place in my luthier shelf and that's a great recommendation!

E

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog