Ladder Braced Grand Concert, Build #7

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Haans

Re: Ladder Braced Grand Concert, Build #7

Post by Haans » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:38 am

Interesting tone bar/ladder bracing, Joe. I like it (course building mandolins, I would :) ) Like the body shape too...what's the lower bout measure? Very interested to hear how it sounds. Looks like a good bracing idea for a 12 string!
Johann D. Brentrup
http://www.brentrup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tommybthompson

Post by tommybthompson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Just catching up with this one Joe, and glad for it. You are growing by leaps and bounds as a luthier and I'm here to tell you that I'm impressed. Not only excellent craftsmanship but the artist in you is speaking wonderfully. Your choice of colors, tints, etc are working for me bigtime. Also, perhaps the most impressive, is how you processed the constructive criticism into that beautiful bracing job...I would be very surprised if it didn't sound great.

Tom T.

stevens
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by stevens » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Joe,

I too have been catching up on your build.

Looks like it is coming together too. Nice warm look.

Each time I look at your great workspace I envy the open feel it gives.

Looks to me as if you should be about ready for strings on this one.

By the way - that was a good save on the neck.

Steve
Remember it's the process of building you must love.

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm

Wow, such incredible feedback!!!
Of course now I feel guilty, so close to finishing and it's just been sitting there.
You know how it is, life comes along and pulls you away from what you'd rather be doing.
I've got this one and the uke build, so close, but hey they're not forgotten, and they will be finished!

Hanns the lower bout is 14 1/2", and it gives a heck of a nice thump when tapped, so I hope it really sings, we'll see. And I think another long scale 12 string is next on my schedule.

Good to hear from you Tom! If I ever get a web-page I might be calling on you to describe my work! If words like that don't get me back in the shop, I don't know what will! :D Thanks!

And good to hear from you too Steve, hope you're doing well!

Again, thanks for checking up on my slow build guys, and giving me the incentive to get back on it and wrap it up.
Thanks,
Joe
Last edited by Joe Sustaire on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:06 pm

catching up too...

ron

wow what a great fix...I alway love ways to get my self out of a jam of jelly...great fix Joe..
http://www.harpguitar.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can think it, Ill try to make it

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Well Joe, they all beat me to the really cool things to say. So back to basics, it's looking great all the way around. Ok, I gotta get off my butt and get to building too! :lol:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 am

Okay guys, you got me back in the shop, maybe this one will get finished after all! :lol:

So here is my low-tech system for cutting a slot-head.

Layout your string post positions and drill them first using a doweling jig. Then drill a 1/2" hole at each end of your slots.

Slots cut out with a jigsaw.

And ready for filing and sanding to even things up.

And here it is with the tuners. It's not the best way to do it because it introduces lots of opportunity to screw it up, but that's where I am now.

And I've started the finishing. I'm using Permalyn Sealer and Finish, which is a rub-on oil varnish mando-maniac showed on one of his mandolins.

I've got a couple of sealer coats brushed on and am now starting to rub in the finish coats. Working pretty good so far.

Thanks for watching,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 am

Wow, Joe, that looks beautiful!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy