Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!

Burst or Straight Amber?

Poll ended at Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 pm

3 tone burst, black/red/amber
38%
3 tone burst, black/brown/amber
38%
Keep it Amber
23%

Total votes: 13

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Sing The Body Electric - Building a Parter

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am

Seabury wrote:Hey Eben......How ya gonna use Sperzel 3+3's on a Tele?? Jes' wonderin'...

Thomas.
hahahah good catch!

Thomas, where the hell have you been buddy? Glad to see you back posting!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Vinman

Post by Vinman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm

This is awesome Eben. I've got a billet of white ash from the tree I cut down in my yard that has Tele written all over it. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Vince

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm

3x3's on a tele? Easy, just change the head stock! You will not be the first, nor the last. :mrgreen:

Oh...don't tell Eben, but I just bought a Tele. :oops:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Vinman wrote:This is awesome Eben. I've got a billet of white ash from the tree I cut down in my yard that has Tele written all over it. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Vince
That white ash is gonna be about twice the density of the swamp ash that is typically used.

Just so ya know ;)

G

Vinman

Post by Vinman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:14 am

Thanks for the info Grant. I'm going to use it anyway since it is FREE! :D

Vinman

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Vinman wrote:Thanks for the info Grant. I'm going to use it anyway since it is FREE! :D

Vinman
Well, I wasn't saying "don't use it" :D

Just giving information FWIW. And FREE trumps thw whole deck lotsa times :D :mrgreen:

G

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Seabury wrote:Hey Eben......How ya gonna use Sperzel 3+3's on a Tele?? Jes' wonderin'... Thomas.
Hola, Tomas!

:D

Well, as I said, this is gonna be my version of a tele, which means that I'll pay homage with the body shape, scale, pickup config, etc, BUT; it'll have my tweaks, like 4 way switching instead of 3, (And I might do 5 way yet, I'm not settled 100%), and my headstock shape and logo, etc.

It's a great question, because if one were building true tribute, of course, you'd need to emulate the shape, etc. I don't like 6 in line tuning, for a few reasons - I find they bind a bit for a heavy bender, and I just don't like the look, personally. Also at issue is the tilted versus non headstock - I don't care for non tilted, wherein you need string trees, etc to keep things aligned - I think the 14 degree back kick we do tunes and holds tune better, and gives a crisper, more defined break across the nut as well...

That's my NECTHO and I"m stickin' to it!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Vinman wrote:This is awesome Eben. I've got a billet of white ash from the tree I cut down in my yard that has Tele written all over it. I'll be watching this one for sure. Vince
Hey, V, that would totally rock!
I'd think the tone potential on that stuff is killer! We might want to discuss some body variations to compensate for weight; if nothing else than for good food for thought in general.

With that wood, you could do a neck through design with something lighter with the Ash wings comprising the bulk of the body, or you could think about making a semi-hollow design with a drop top of something cool - That'd get lighter weight and serious eye candy too!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog