WaddyT
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Re-Building an Old Parlor

Post by WaddyT » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

This looks great, Joe. Keep going.

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Joe I bet you will make her sing nicer then before my friend. I have seen what you have done with her and this is like a rebirth event. Keep going almost there.

Thxs
Hugh

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for checking out the re-build guys, I sure appreciate your feedback!

Well I've been out of the shop for a few days but finally got to do some more work.
I scraped the binding down and sanded everything down with my new RO sander, wow sure beats the old vibrating pad sander! For the first time I can actually get all the deep scratches out of my build and it sure helps the silking in the top show up nice.

Here's the top in the white.

And I'm going for a stained and rubbed vintage finish on this to disguise the fact of the new top. I use the trans tint dyes thinned with water and rubbed on with a piece of rag. Before going to the stain I raised the grain with water, let it dry and sanded it back. Hopefully that will minimize the grain raising from the stain where sanding back might remove too much stain.

This is the amber yellow coat all over.

Here I've rubbed in the reddish brown tint leaving the center yellow.

And this is with the medium brown tint added, leaving a very subtle burst effect, more of a rubbed and worn effect.

Now after letting it dry I went over it with 0000 steel wool and then 400 grit paper on a felt block.

It faded the intensity of the colors a bit and look how the tinting brings out the silking! Wow, how cool. It's like the color staining I've seen used on maple to bring out the rays.

The back, sides and neck were stained with the reddish brown and the medium brown.

I had thought I would make a new fretboard since the old one had some fair sized finger divots and the frets were all rusty looking and corroded. But I hit it with the 0000 steel wool and turns out the frets are brass and the board cleaned up nicely, so I think I will use it so it will retain some of it's history.

These shots are with the fretboard just laying on the neck, but it's looking good. And shows that it knows a song or two to teach me! :D :lol:

Thanks for watching,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Looking very nice Joe. The trans tint dyes look to have worked perfect for you too. As for the fret board,I agree on using it. Besides, it's nice to know somebody besides me plays with a death grip. :lol: I know, bad habit, and none of my guitars require such a thing, but I can't seem to get away from it. :cry: :oops: At least I have got to the point of divoting frets instead of the wood. :)
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:10 pm

What a warm glow that tint throws off Joe, I like it man very nice!
The frets look much better, I would still check for level after during the set up.

Thxs
Hugh

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Joe
That is a spectacular top!!
Nicely done my freind.
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Lookin good Joe.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Very nice work Joe !
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.