L-1 Gibson Build

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
tonewood
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: L-1 Gibson Build

Post by tonewood » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:54 am

Hi Joe
(this is my first post, I don't know if I can add it to your thread or I'd better start a new topic, please let me know and if it is the case I'll correct)

After building a violin I'm currently doing all the preliminary work before starting the construction of my first guitar, a flat-top '20 Gibson L-1 replica : collecting data, building some tools and jigs, and above all looking at other people experience. As I expected, at this stage for every answer I find, new questions arise.

So I hope you and/or someone else can shed a light on a couple of issues I can't completely solve by myself.

The first is the soundboard and back thickness: I know that the original '20 L-1 had thin boards, but not sure how much thin... I think it could be around 2.5 mm but I'd like to know how you did. (I'll face the problem of how to place, shape and size the braces in relation to the soundboard thickness at a later stage...)

The second is about the neck angle. The plan I bought from GAL doesn't mention and show any angle, and I don't know if the fact that I've found no explicit data around means that there actually was no angle between the neck and the soundboard. I don't know if it matters, but the plan refers to a non-trussrod neck, while mine will have it. Also in this case I'll greatly appreciate your suggestions. (By the way: are there other plans of the same guitar? Mine shows a quite unusual, non "X", non "H", non "A" bracing pattern...)

I admire your work and will follow with a great interest your thread.

Thanks
Francesco

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey Francesco, welcome to the community!

Posting here is fine with me, if you don't get the answers you need don't hesitate to post a new thread for a broader response. Since I've never seen one of these in person, I'm just shooting from the hip and playing it by ear. I went over to the shop and measured my top and looks like I'm a tad thicker at 2.74 mm or 0.11". I think your 2.5 mm would be in the right ballpark, just depends on the particular piece of wood. I'm a pretty intuitive builder and just trust in my instincts on this guittar building, and most of the time it turns out all right. But yeah, I've been back into some of them a few times to correct over-enthusiastic tendency to push the limits. :D

I haven't followed any plans on this but the neck angle will just be what the build needs to bring the fretboard into the right relationship to the bridge. There have been long threads on this and others can explain it better than I can, so you might do a search and see what you can find.

And yeah, the bracing patterns are all over the place on these, so just jump in. :lol:
And we'd sure like it if you'd post your build so we can follow along.

Thanks,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Well I thought I'd better explain why this thread and my other builds have pretty much come to a halt.

My wife, Patty, of 40 years was diagnosed with dementia/alzheimer's last Nov/Dec and naturally it is progressing. So I'm just not able to get over to the shop much these days. We're doing fine and enjoying life as it comes at us, but I just thought I should let everyone know why I'm not producing much around here.

My playing is getting better though because that is something I can do in this situation. I still follow along and try to soak up as much building info as I can, so yeah I'm still open to stealing some good ideas!

Best,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Higham

Post by Dave Higham » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:58 am

Hey Joe, sorry to hear about your wife. Call in here when you can - it's always good to see you.
Bon courage,
Dave.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 am

Joe,

It was hard for you to tell us and also hard for us to read. Be a good caregiver, take breaks whenever you can, and keep us posted. As you said, at least you have your guitar playing to comfort you.

All the best,

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe

Colin S

Post by Colin S » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:56 am

Joe great looking little guitar, and of course with you it's never boring, I'd be interested to hear how the bracing sounds. Oh and it's a custom guitar so there's no rule that says you have to use the same wood B&S.

So sorry to here about your wife's dementia, it's never easy for the carer either is it. Both of our mothers live with us, they are both in their late 90s now, but both have very severe dementia. I know you'll take great care of her, but take some time to care for Joe as well, you're important too.

Colin
There's the Socratic acceptance of the limits of one's own knowledge, then there's ignorance.

Matthew Jenkins

Post by Matthew Jenkins » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks for checking in Joe
My mother in law also has dementia and I know from my wife how hard being a carer is.
All my very best wishes to you and your family
Mat

tonewood

Post by tonewood » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for answering, Joe!

I wish you all the best for you and your wife.

Ciao
Francesco