Size 2 Martin build coming late October

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Size 2 Martin build coming late October

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:29 am

Damn Grant, that is jaw dropping gorgeous!
And talk about doing it from scratch!

Sure is nice to have you back in the shop and especially taking the time to document these processes so well. Much to learn.

Thanks,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

mtracz

Post by mtracz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 am

Thanks for sharing the from scratch part! You make it look so easy...

It's going to be a beaut!!!

I'm now watching this thread, and cant wait till your next installment.

Best,
_Mike
Mike Tracz

MCT Guitars - Handcrafted to Inspire
https://MCTGuitars.tumblr.com/

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 am

Again, thanks for the comments.

Well, yes, I am more the "from scratch" type than some folks. Guess I find the "back roads" way more interesting than the freeway :D

But part of why I post these things is just to help remind folks that it can be done that way. I suppose I could have used that "zippety-do-da" flexible stuff for the abalone ring and done it in less than a minute, but I would not even be close to the same feeling about the finished deal, even though it might look neater. Besides, my point in this build is to recreate something more closely resembling the original than to make a new modern version of the old.

Even at that, there are a lot of things and methods that I will use that will not be as they were in 1890, mostly because my shop does not have 1890 tools and I lack some of the materials that were around then. For example, I am using ivoroid instead of real ivory, but you can bet that if I had a chunk of a tusk, I would have used it. And the animal rights types don't go getting shocked at that comment. My thoughts on that type of thing is that it honors the animal that some time in the past gave his or her life to provide something that can be used...just so you know where I am at. But let's not get off on that tangent on this thread, but keep it on the build, so if anybody wants to pursue that angle, please start another topic :D

But anyhow, getting back to the "from scratch" thing, please don't view anything that I say as a critism of the folks who opt for the other end of the scale, for whatever reason. That is just as valid as anything that I do. Same goes for my occaisional tongue-in-cheek comments about fancy jigs and fixtures, most of which I don't have or use. I don't look at any of this in a negative way. It is just that I tend to be a more "seat-of-the-pants" sort of person because that is what floats my boat.

Thanks for looking,

G

Fred Blom

Post by Fred Blom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Grant,

The backstrip, purflings and rosette are looking fantastic on this build. I greatly appreciate the "backroads" and "seat-of-the-pants" you offer because I tend to think if I don't have the fancy tools and jigs I won't be able to build. Your methods, descriptions, & pictures show us it can be done without totally relying on those things. Fore-thought and patient methods are the hallmarks of great craftsmanship. I tip my hat to you and offer thanks for helping my creative juices to liquify.
Fred Blom
Remember the joy of the journey

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Of course having a diamond bandsaw and lapidary wet grinder helps a bit. :lol:
Not to mention of course that little stack of wood. And of course the talent to make great use of it all!

Yes, I'm green with envy! :mrgreen:
Again, in all seriousness, thanks for sharing this with us Grant!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

tlguitars

Post by tlguitars » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Nice Grant.

I Dig the back strip TONS!!!!!

Thanks for posting.

T

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Joe Sustaire wrote:Of course having a diamond bandsaw and lapidary wet grinder helps a bit. :lol:
Not to mention of course that little stack of wood. And of course the talent to make great use of it all!

Yes, I'm green with envy! :mrgreen:
Again, in all seriousness, thanks for sharing this with us Grant!

Joe
Hey Joe, I will admit to buying the bandsaw, but it was an E-Bay cheapie. I had originally got it for cutting glass for some stained glass windows. The only thing I bought for the grinder was a low cost silicon carbide stone from Grizzly. The rest is all scavanged from stuff I had laying around. The pulleys and arbor came off an old motorized archaeology screen, and the housing for the wheel is the bottom of a 5 gallon plastic bucket :D

As for the wood?.......Well, what can I say :oops:

No progress today. I finished reparing an old Washburn archtop (the original Washburn company) and spent several hours sorting stones and bones.

G

Steve Kinnaird

Post by Steve Kinnaird » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Grant, that's sweet.
Thanks for sharing!

Steve