12 Fret Slope Shoulder Dread

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: 12 Fret Slope Shoulder Dread

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey John, it seems we've finally gotten through our wet spring here and the humidity is finally down to where I can start on the bracing for the top.

Got the bracing pattern drawn out and the x braces glued down with HHG, so we're moving again. :D

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

rollingdam

Post by rollingdam » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:46 am

I hope this guitar will survive our dry Canadian winter.

I humidify my guitars religiously but some of the ones I used to own were difficult such as the 1990's Gibsons I had.

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey John, that's why I haven't been in any hurry to get on with this part of the build. You do have to apply your cross-bracing and close the box when the woods are drier so that they are better able to handle the humidity swings. For instance the humidity was up a bit today so I put off gluing any more bracing on the top. I will continue to watch the humidity carefully during this part of the build to minimize problems down the line. If you keep it humidified in it's case you should be alright. I'm also using a blow dryer and heat light to warm up the wood and lower the humidity during glue-up.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:47 pm

I really like the look of slope shoulder dreds - the refinement of the shoulders gives them such a different and, in my opinion, more pleasing shape than a squarish-shaped dred. Joe, you have such an artistic spirit, I want to absorb your aesthetic sense. I'm sure you're influencing others as well.

Great stuff!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:49 pm

sustaireblues wrote: I'm also using a blow dryer and heat light to warm up the wood and lower the humidity during glue-up.
Joe,

I told you before - you crank up the wood-burning stove and work in your Y-Fronts :mrgreen:

It's looking good - the guitar I mean 8-)
Dave White
De Faoite Stringed Instruments

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, I've tried that Dave and it does lower the humidity, but man does it get hot in there, mid 90's outside and woodstove going inside. It works in a pinch but thought I'd give patience a try unless I'm desperate. :lol:

Thanks Dennis, yeah I can't wait to see what I think of this, never played a 12 fret slope shoulder dread before but like the shape. I just don't like boxy guitars, give me curves!

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut

Fred Blom

Post by Fred Blom » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Joe,
I'm with you and Dennis on the curves of the slope shoulder dreads. Even though I've never owned one, my eye is always attracted to their shape. I love the elegance in your rosettes. Waiting with anticipation to see this one to the finish line.
Fred Blom
Remember the joy of the journey

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks Fred!

I tell ya, waiting for some proper humidity to continue this bracing is driving me batty!
So, ---

That's right, I built an old time phone booth into my shop! :lol:

Actually it's my new hot box. Wire rack for braces and hair hygrometer, hooks for hanging plates and boxes to be closed, barely fire the little propane heater and in a couple of hours, parts are stabilized and toasty, perfect for HHG!

Worked out real nice, and sure beats firing up the wood stove and heating up the whole shop!

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut