Left Handed Parter Bass

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Green Mountain Guitars

Re: Left Handed Parter Bass

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Where are we at with this one? :roll:

I was just wondering how the progress was going.

I wanna' see some yellow.

Glen

Green Mountain Guitars

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I have no idea who the idiot is who is spraying the paint on for ya'. But I would fire his ass! :mrgreen:

Here we be getting it put on a little flatter. The lighting makes it look not so yellow. I should review Eriks photo tutorial. :mrgreen:

Glen

the Padma
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by the Padma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 am

Yo Glenn

Nice idea them there built in runs on a bass... :roll:

ummm, you Glenn...dat don't looks annana yeller to me eyeballs.

tell us its the primmer.

and the mellow Yellow still a commin.

Tell us its so.

blessings
the
Padma
The longest journey is from the head to the heart.

Green Mountain Guitars

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:46 pm

That is the yellow. For some reason, this yellow don't photograph very well. :mrgreen:

The lacquer is going on though.

Glen

Green Mountain Guitars

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 am

Sprayed some more lacquer. :roll:

Glen

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi all I am back on line because Glen and I finished the Bass!!!!! It is done, I have played it and it sounds great, real deep in fact I would put it up against a Fender American Precision Bass. It brings me back to 1974 (a very good year) when I was a Teenager and wanting to play like Deep Purple, Led Zep, Grand Funk, and all the other great British bands of that era. So her it is the Yellow "1974" precision bass guitar: ;)

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:03 pm

The pickups are the DiMarzio DP127 Split P Replacement Pickup for Fender P Bass which IMHO blow away the stock Fender American Precision bass pickup. Each unit is a humbucker and it sounds very deep or crisp depending on the tone control setting. The wiring harness has a huge Orange Sprague Capacitor so the tone works great with lots of settings. All the metal are Fender parts except the clover tuner keys which are from England and very inexpensive but, absolutely equal (see above discussion) quality to the tuners on my Fender Jazz Basses.

For strings I am using Ernie Ball 45 65 80 100 which is what I use on the Jazz basses. A very noticable difference between the Jazz and the Precision is the top of the neck string spacing. The Jazz tapers thinner while the Precision has lots of space between the strings. I have to reach for the notes on the Precision while the Jazz notes are all right there. This bass has been yellow for a while but, Glen had a hard time with getting the true color with his pictures at the shop because of the lighting which has a yellow tint.

At home I was able to work with the camera and put the bass on a dark background to bring out the true color. Also the white pickguard gives an example of the depth of the yellow compared to actual white. The color and look are exactly what I wanted. :D Glen is truely very modest when he says he cannot paint. :? He did a fantastic job and I am a very happy customer. I also learned a great deal building this with him once a week for over the past several months. Here is another shot of the Yellow from the top:

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm

I agree with Padma that this color brings back memories. I remember seeing lots of guitars and basses in those 50's colors of yellow, light green, light blue, and off white. The headstock is Fender style and size but, of course no Fender logo. I did design and purchase a decal that simply says "Precision Bass" but, think I will just keep this bass blank. After all why insult my hand built bass with a stock Fender logo.

I really did enjoy this project and Glen and I are going to work on a second Precision bass project but, this time in 2 tone sunburst (black with a deep red interior) again very 1970's. This will be a greater challange than the first solid color bass. I will use the black pickguard on that Precision bass. White is perfect forthe yellow bass. I have decided to abandon the Univox clone bass (which I mentioned ealier) as two Fender Jazz basses and two better then American Precision Basses are plenty.

I do link a challange and I have very good patience and can wait for the long term success: