New Cocobolo Jumbo

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

New Cocobolo Jumbo

Post by whitespruce » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Well, since I am getting closer to being back in the shop, I have "cheated" a bit and have gotten a head start on another guitar. So that makes 3 or 4 that I actually have going and will soon be more actively posting.

Since my cocobolo from the new shipment has such interesting figure, I did get a bit antsy to see how it will work up. Remember the photo below that I posted in my cocobolo sets for sale thread?
This is where I was showing how the 7" wide backs can be "stretched" by piecing. Well, I am doing the whole thing up and making one of my jumbo cutaways out of it. This has a 16 1/2" wide back and it will be from 7" wide back halves.

Here is what it looks like at the present time.
I put in a b/w/bloodwood/w/b center strip. You will notice the right outer half is lighter than the left. The slice on the left was the first slice from the outside of the plank and is already oxidized somewhat to this depth. The right half is oxidized along what was the edge and now is the glue line area. The actual pieced up glue line is somewhere within the darker oxidized zone. The lighter areas are gradually darkening and in probably several weeks will pretty much match the other half. You can see how much it has changed in a couple of weeks by comparing it to the top photo. Also notice how the purplish cast has oxidized to righer browns.

The sides I am using are from another plank from this same log and have the exact same zones and ink line combination, but everything is slightly narrower so it all fits within the width of the sides. Can't ask for anything better than that.

For the top on this one, I am breaking with tradition and not using a white spruce top. I will be using an Italian spruce top that I got from Luigi. One from his own tree, not the Cerisa tops.

This will go a bit slow for a few weeks, and then I will speed up and also start posting on my other builds. Stay tuned and feel free to comment and ask questions :D

G

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Re: New Cocobolo Jumbo

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Top shelf, my friend, absolutely top shelf. Who ended up snagging that other set like this the other day? I know my finger was twitching...

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:Top shelf, my friend, absolutely top shelf. Who ended up snagging that other set like this the other day? I know my finger was twitching...

Dennis
Now that would be our own Chris Muse. But I still got 5 1/2 feet of the plank I cut the backs out of and a billet and a half of the sides :mrgreen:

G

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:03 pm

whitespruce wrote:
Dennis Leahy wrote:Top shelf, my friend, absolutely top shelf. Who ended up snagging that other set like this the other day? I know my finger was twitching...

Dennis
Now that would be our own Chris Muse. But I still got 5 1/2 feet of the plank I cut the backs out of and a billet and a half of the sides :mrgreen:

G
Well, after staring at all the mountains of Cocobolo at you house on each of my visits, I think I'm finally going to ask you to put my name on a set of Cocobolo. This Cocobolo. I'm not worthy, but someday I hope to be, and I want it in my stash pile when I'm feeling ready (or deluded.) :D

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Arnt

Post by Arnt » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:10 am

Very pretty wood, Grant. Coco + Italian sounds good to me!
Arnt Rian
rianguitars.com

Ted Kowalski

Post by Ted Kowalski » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Hubba hubba! :wolfwhis:

Now that back is one well worth staying up late to work on.

Ted

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Well, I said this would go slow for a while, but I did get the top joined tonight.

This is a 1998 top, even grain, Italian with a tad of bearclaw. From Luigi.

And here are my sides:

I did resaw another side billet last night, so I also have these sides as alternates:
Notice these are not as brown yet because I just resawed them and they need to oxidize.

Next I will be working on the rosette and bracing the top.

G

Vinman

Post by Vinman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 am

Looking good Grant. Can't wait to see this one come together.

Vinman