Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks John, and yeah I think I like the Qualasole.

Okay, I think I'm done! It's all back together, strung up and all the set-up work done. Playing and sounding good...….I may have to keep it...….. maybe I can talk my nephew into waiting for the next one, ha!
IMG_2623.JPG
-
IMG_2624.JPG
-
IMG_2625.JPG
-
IMG_2626.JPG
-
IMG_2627.JPG
-
IMG_2628.JPG
-
IMG_2629.JPG
-
IMG_2630.JPG
-
-
And there you have it, best I could do this time around. I think I'm pleased..........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

johnparchem
Site Admin

Post by johnparchem » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am

Wow! I would be more than pleased! Absolutely gorgeous, I love how all of your design elements pull together in a very understated but classy way.

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:50 am

She's a beauty, Joe! The "tortoise shell" is the perfect binding and pickguard.

I'll bet it is a bitch to set it up the first time. Is there a 12-string string spacing guide you work from, (on both the notched saddle and the nut), or is it seat-of-the-pants fitting?

The Qualasole finish looks great! Hey, if you're not careful, people are going to start sending you guitars for finishing!
Dennis Leahy

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Thank you John and Dennis!

String spacing like everything else I do is pretty much a seat-of-the-pants deal. Basically I will mark the outside string positions and then use the graduated string rule from Stewmac to lay out the other strings. Of course you have to do it twice working from each end to get the paired courses and then you can kind of make adjustments as you file.

And bite your tongue Dennis, I'm for sure not interested in doing more finish work, ha!

And a bit of good news, I just talked to my nephew and got permission to bring it to Stringfest to further it's education! Good man, he's been waiting patiently so I much appreciate it!
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

John J

Post by John J » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Beautiful Joe! But I don’t think you’d have kept it for yourself. Way too shiny and new looking!

:lol:

Seriously nice work!

John
John Joyce

“Embrace the creative change in direction borne of necessity”

BRuddy

Post by BRuddy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:00 pm

You sure do some fine work Joe and it's really nice to follow along. I'm glad to see you posting a build.

Your choice of materials is just outstanding. The binding and purfs and pick guard along with the guitar woods are a match made in heaven.

Some "purists" shun non-wood bindings. But then you see a guitar like this and it WOW's them! There is also good reason from a protective standpoint to use "plastic" bindings. I've built instruments for players that need every level or protective building a luthier can apply. You all know the kind that have instruments that look like Willie Nelson had them in his stable a while.

Anyway, beautiful work Joe! Thanks.
Brian R, N8ZED

"Still traveling through the universe at 33.7 million kilometers a day on Starship Earth - and enjoying the ride!."

coopman

Post by coopman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 am

Joe - it looks great!!! We know it will sound awesome. Sorry if I missed this, but where did you get your tortise shell bindings? Last time I checked with the larger suppliers there was a ridiculous $32 surcharge for "hazmat service fee" material courtesy of the DOT ???

John
John Cooper

"Hard pressed on the right. Center is falling. No possibility to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - Gen. Ferdinand

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am

Thank you for the great compliments my friends, means a lot coming from you guys!

And yeah, John J. that finish level is a bit beyond my usual...….. but don't worry, it's still far from what the glass showcase guys want, I think I could live with it...….

And thanks Brian! Yeah I like the old celluloid bindings on the old style guitars I build, just seems appropriate, and I do like the edge protection that they give since I do seem to be the table bumping kind of player, ha!

And Coop, this is some old stock I'd picked up some years back from off the acoustic guitar forum classifieds, I think I've got enough to do one more guitar with it. I especially like it because it's a thick binding which lets you put more round-over on the edges making it more user friendly. And yeah, that damn hasmat surcharge on celluloid is a killer on buying new...……. you have to commit to a bigger order to make it doable.

And I'm really liking that tailpiece I got straight from National Resophonic Guitars. It was pricey, but a much better piece of guitar jewelry than the china made $6 to $10 dollar chrome plated cheapies that are out there.
Kurt Vonnegut