Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
John J
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

Post by John J » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Looking good, Joe. What are you planning on for a finish?

John
John Joyce

“Embrace the creative change in direction borne of necessity”

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks John!
And I'm planning to use Qualasol be Behlens…….. pads on quick and makes a finish I'm pleased with...……...
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Okay, I've been in the finishing process...…. my favorite, ha!
IMG_2612.JPG
-
Here's the box with the color tone black pore fill from stu-mac
-
-
-
IMG_2614.JPG
-
And here it is sanded back. I just did one pore fill, should have probably done another because it still shows some open pores, but hey, it works for me, looking like wood.......
-
-
IMG_2616.JPG
-
And I'm calling it good...... probably about 3 sessions with the Qualasole from Behlens.
-
-
IMG_2617.JPG
-
-
IMG_2619.JPG
-
And the neck......
-
-
-
IMG_2621.JPG
-
And on to bolting up the neck and gluing down the fretboard tonque.

And that's it for now. Now I'll get onto the final saddle and nut, put the tuners back on and string it up........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

John J

Post by John J » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Looking good Joe. How are you applying the Qualasole? How is the odor? I’m always open to a better method. Hopefully you’ll bring her up so we can get an earful!

John
John Joyce

“Embrace the creative change in direction borne of necessity”

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Works for me. Looks beautiful, Joe! How many coats of Qualasole did you end up putting on?
Dennis Leahy

cooltouch

Post by cooltouch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:16 am

Fascinating project, Joe. Do you plan to post any sound files once you've completed this build? I'd love to hear it.

I have another question. I'm coming to this build very late and I have one question regarding a couple of comments made early on in this thread. You mention thermally modified top wood. Can you tell me what exactly thermally modified top wood is? Do you bake it in an oven for a while? And for what purpose -- to crystallize any sap in the wood, perhaps?

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:01 am

Hey John, I'm just padding it on very similar to French polishing but I'm not using any oil, just the qualasol. No odor that I've detected just using it, so I'm very pleased, dries very quick and builds up quickly.....

Dennis, as to how many coats, I'm not sure as I just work around the guitar as I go and then where I started is ready to build on more. All I really know is that I spent about 3 to 4 sessions at it, maybe about 1/2 hour each, just guessing...…

As to the thermally modified wood, there is a guy, John, near Grant that has a company that does the thermal modification, and he does quite a bit of work for some of the larger guitar companies as well as deck material etc for the building trades. He has come to several of the Stringfest get-to-gathers and has brought samples and given talks about the process. Here are a couple of links on here that should explain it a bit better...….. www.luthiercom.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... y+modified
www.luthiercom.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... ied#p76765

Hope that helps, and hopefully I can get permission from the client to bring this up to Stringfest and get it broken in a bit...…..
Kurt Vonnegut

johnparchem
Site Admin

Post by johnparchem » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:04 am

very nice! I have used qualasole and found it to be a great padding finish. It is easy to apply and looks great when cured. I used it on a guitar 8 years ago and it still looks good. Also it adheres to dang near any finish or raw wood so it is a good repair finish as well. I have never figured out why it is not used more in luthiery.