Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Fred Blom
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Indian Rosewood low-tuned 12 String

Post by Fred Blom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Everything's looking great, Joe.I've taken a shine to solid linings and want to give them a try on the next build.
Fred Blom
Remember the joy of the journey

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it! And yes Jesse, I need to update this build...…

Got a bit more done,
-
IMG_2512.JPG
-
Got the side braces in,
-
IMG_2511.JPG
-
Sanding the top of the rimset to a 25' arc. Wrong, it's a 12' radius, not 25'.
-
-
And I'm also working on getting another 12 going. Here's the rosette for it,
-
IMG_2509.JPG
-
And a shot of the top and back with the back stripe inlaid,
-
IMG_2515.JPG
-
IMG_2516.JPG
-
-
And that about catches me up here...…...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Lookin real good.

Does your 25' arc trough have ribs to hold that arc, or a single "keel", or what?
Dennis Leahy

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 am

If I'm understanding you correctly you're referring to the sanding board itself?
If so, it's a piece of 1 1/2" laminated plywood that I used a router and sled to route the 25' arc into the ply, like you do when you're making a dish for radiused tops and backs. Yeah, I've seen some where they bow a thinner board to the arc shape using ribs, so I assume that's what you're referring to...….

correction...... it's a 12' radius arc, not 25' radius........
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

mtracz

Post by mtracz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Joe, thank you for taking the time to write between the photos. I learn so much from your thought process.

I’ve been jealous of your shop since my first visit to the forum. Either you have some serious natural light or... let me know what bulbs you put in your lights. Stunning photos! So warm.

Can’t wait to see what you have to share next.
Mike Tracz

MCT Guitars - Handcrafted to Inspire
https://MCTGuitars.tumblr.com/

dgimcmillan

Post by dgimcmillan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:51 pm

mtracz wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 pm Joe, thank you for taking the time to write between the photos. I learn so much from your thought process.

I’ve been jealous of your shop since my first visit to the forum. Either you have some serious natural light or... let me know what bulbs you put in your lights. Stunning photos! So warm.

Can’t wait to see what you have to share next.
I totally agree with Mike!

Your pictures are awesome! Of course, it helps that your work is so clean, and good, too. I’m really enjoying seeing your build process.👍😁

Ian

coopman

Post by coopman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 am

Joe - great wood combinations. Keep it coming ... remember winter is coming ;)

John
John Cooper

"Hard pressed on the right. Center is falling. No possibility to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - Gen. Ferdinand

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

Hey guys, thanks for looking and commenting!

And yeah Mike, it's natural light. Since I'm off-grid and have to crank up a generator to use power tools or lights I tend to just work during daylight when my sky-light over my bench takes care of the lighting. My brother worked in the sign field for many years and gave me two lexan sign faces about 8' x 12'. So I washed off the ink with lacquer thinner and stacked them with airspace between to mitigate the heat loss and it works pretty good for lighting.

Now I see a correction I've got to go back an make. My top arc is 12' radius not 25' radius, says so right on my sanding sled. I noticed my mistake yesterday when I was shaping bracestock for the top using my template and it says 12' on it also. So much for my memory, these birthdays are obviously costing me too many grey cells!
Kurt Vonnegut