New commission, Coco jumbo

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
tomlang
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: New commission, Coco jumbo

Post by tomlang » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Dennis,
When the boy came over to check out my guitars, I didn’t have much of my own construction to show him so I also showed him some of my personal guitars. He fell in love with my Martin OM-28 and decided I should build him one just like it. He wanted to add some herringbone purfling and some abalone on the rosette. So this guitar is EIR with Lutz top and bracing. As it turned out, with the extra ½-inch in depth and lighter bracing, it was a boomer. When he took it home, he had a big smile on his face.

The back story on this instrument is: seems like every one I build has a big mistake somewhere that causes me to back up and start over. This one was no exception. As I was spraying the body with water-based lacquer, I dropped it onto the floor - kerbang! Busted the back right next to the center strip. I had no replacement back to install, so after serious soul searching, I added a 1.5-inch strip of very black ebony between the two salvaged halves of the back, then routed a channel for the center strip. When I finished, lucky me, it looked like it was part of the original design.
I spent most of my money on guitars, women and single malt. The rest of it, I wasted.

coopman

Post by coopman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am

You have to know that I am buying this to study Grant's innovations close up. No better way to learn from the master.
Ah, Tom - I've tried that trick, telling my wife I needed great guitars from other people in order to study how they do it and be able to apply to my own builds ... LOL Finally, she caught on and put her foot down: "you want any more guitars, you gotta build them!" ... and so my 'career' was launched :)

It is actually very instructive. My basic OM design came from an intense weekend study and careful measuring of a friends Mark Beneteau that I really liked. The beauty of this forum and the generous sharing, is that we get to see the "innards" as they go together. Of course, nothing beats hands on. I hope this instrument provides you with lots of inspiration and enjoyment. You'll have an awesome to instrument to play while you are waiting for the finish to cure on your next one as well.

John
John Cooper

"Hard pressed on the right. Center is falling. No possibility to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - Gen. Ferdinand

tomlang

Post by tomlang » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Dang, John,
You saw right through my little scheme. I did sell the purchase to my wife using the, "i need to study the work of the master", knowing full well that she saw through it too. I confess, I have GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). But I can't help wanting one of Grant's guitars since he has incorporated all the innovations - adjustable neck, his own bracing patterns, solid linings, torrefied wood and maybe bar frets. It's a whole new ball game!
Regards,
Tom
I spent most of my money on guitars, women and single malt. The rest of it, I wasted.