Thermally Modified Dread

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Thermally Modified Dread

Post by whitespruce » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:49 pm

After getting the thermally modified OM strung up, I now need to do a different thermally modified wood guitar. This will be a dreadnaught body size with a Cambodian Beng back and sides. Not sure on appointments, yet, but it will have a thermally modified ebony fingerboard and bridge and the Phosphor bronze bar frets.

This time, I am using a high grade white spruce top
Nice and clean with none of the sap stains. The center is a shade darker since that edge of the plates is sapwood. This taps like a pane of glass

Nice and even grain averaging about 17 lines/inch

And perfect 90 degree vertical grain...Don't get much better than this :D

Here are the thermally modified back and the unmodified sides. They will be heat treated after bending

This one will go slower than the last because I have to catch with some of the things I neglected the past several weeks :oops:

Stay tuned and questions and comments are welcome.

G

RusRob

Re: Thermally Modified Dread

Post by RusRob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:46 pm

It would be interesting to see you build an un-treated one along side this one to see how they compare next to each other. Since you are on the thermally modified bandwagon it would be quite helpful to have something to judge it against. I remain "agnostic" about cooking wood (I need proof). But I am very interested to watch the results.

Not sure if it is just the picture but that treated Cambodian Beng looks a lot like EIR.

I'll be watching... Image

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Bob, except for the bar frets, I already have fairly comparable guitars to this one. And I could do a neck swap to get that the same.

G

RusRob

Post by RusRob » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Excellent Grant! I will be very interested in hearing what you (and others that can play both) have to say. My plans are to be at Stringfest this year (barring any major events like last year) so I will be really interested in checking them out. I have an open mind as to the value of cooking wood and think it really does enhance the look. My questions come up with longevity and how it holds up years from now. I have the same issues with guys mixing finishes, Epoxy fillers under shelllac, lacquer , oil or what ever other finish combo's that people come up with. I am very much a traditionalist when it comes to finishing and think one type of finish should be used throughout. So until I see proof that things work I stick with what has been time tested (thats why I like French Polishing).

This should be a nice looking guitar and look forward to watching you bring it together.

Cheers,
Bob

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks, Bob. I hear what you are saying and do agree with you. I also know that there are no magic bullets in lutherie.

And it really does go back to understanding wood and understanding what you are really doing with it. I don't like to be negative on anything and think it is wonderful that so many folks are able to participate in the craft. And a lot of folks are able to make very decent guitars. But a large proportion of this has been facilitated by the plethora of gadgets, jigs, wood tuning voodoo and formulas, etc., etc. I don't mean to be critical of any of this, but so many people have been sold the business that if you don't use this or that or follow so and so's book and method, you are not going to get what you want.

When I built my first guitars, 48 years ago, there was none of this available, but I knew how to work with wood from growing up in my Grandfather's wood shop, so with that knowledge and a $2 paperback on building a classical guitar, I was able to struggle through. I still have my first guitar. It is not a thing of beauty, but it does make pretty good music, considering the limitations it was built under.

I do watch what others are doing and try to learn new things, but inside, I am a bit of a skeptic. I don't do anything just because somebody who "is somebody" says it is good. And most of the different things I do are things I come up with myself. I am experimenting with the modified wood because it is interesting and I have the opportunity by knowing the guy who runs the wood plant. While I am somewhat "traditional" I have always had a need to not follow the herd and I like to venture out on my own. I don't suggest that this is what folks should do, but it works well for me :D

I really do hope you make it to Stringfest next year. I think we will both enjoy that.

G

Joel M

Post by Joel M » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Thats a killer top Grant! I cant wait to see this one unfold. That Beng set you sent me seems wonderful. I may use it for a spec build in the future, it has all the magic to be a killer tonewood.

Looking forward to watching another Thermo build.

J.

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm

I do have a bit done on this. The rosette is in and the top is braced.

My usual bracing, laminated from thermally modified stock.

The bridge plate is thermally modified Osage Orange. Notice that I have oriented the grain with the grain of the top. And I have modified the shape a bit from my past builds...kind of an experiment that I will explain later.

Here is the top up close with some of the rosette.
The rosette is Ash bark with b/w/b veneer lines. You can kinda see the ray figures. It almost ends up looking like a moire pattern...actually shows way more than the photo shows.

And here is the whole top

I am starting on the neck and the end blocks. They will all be thermally modified HOG.

More to come.

G

RusRob

Post by RusRob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Hey Grant, Looking good! :clap: It is interesting how the TM process darkened the rays on the top more than the rest and made them jump right out. I am guessing that is going to look fantastic with finish on it.

I find your bracing pattern quite interesting and would really like to know more about the "why" of it. I am particularly interested in your offset X bracing and your choice to go so light on the UTB. Is that info somewhere here on the forum I can read?

Looking forward to see the progress on this one.

Cheers,
Bob