2 new bar fret guits, sound file added

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
BRuddy
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: 2 new bar fret guits

Post by BRuddy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Yup, magnificent piece of wood Grant. When I showed my wife she said get some. Not for a guitar mind you, "people never see the back of a guitar, just hang it on the wall, like watching a fireplace". Damn good description if you ask me.

Wood is such nice material!!

Brian
Brian R, N8ZED

"Still traveling through the universe at 33.7 million kilometers a day on Starship Earth - and enjoying the ride!."

johnparchem
Site Admin

Post by johnparchem » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Wow, That is as great looking piece of cocobolo. I like the bug holes as well.

Steve Kinnaird

Post by Steve Kinnaird » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:30 am

Grant that's amazing. Thanks for the pix, as well as posting the process.
The typical way of bracing seems so pedestrian now...
Must think up something exotic!

See? You're inspiring us all!

Steve

coopman

Post by coopman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Grant - looking awesome! I have a couple of questions having glanced back through your postings:

1. On the laminated linings, have you considered using just three strips? Like yours, I've been using 4 strips, and it is quite rigid. I'm wondering if 3 would suffice and cut down on a bit of weight?

2. Is this your first time using Liberon? Wondering on your impressions so far. I'll be interested in your conclusions. It sure has a "low overhead" application method. Curious on the final treatment. How long before buffing, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

John
John Cooper

"Hard pressed on the right. Center is falling. No possibility to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - Gen. Ferdinand

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:26 pm

John, thanks for the comments. I am sure that 3 layers would be plenty strong for the laminated linings. My concern would be gluing width, especially with wide purfling routes.

I have used Liberon before, but I am still a learner. On this one I did an epoxy pore fill (first time and I actually sanded most of it off) and did 2 coats of shellac sealer. I put on 6 light coats of Liberon because that is what I had time for. It has been drying since middle of last week and I will probably buff it out tomorrow cuz I need to glue the bridge and get it strung up by Thursday. Having it playable by Stringfest is driving the process more than doing it correctly :oops: Worst case, I will doctor it up later.

So I do have both necks carved and fitted and glued on heel caps tonight. Will final sand and put a few finish coats on them tomorrow. Can always add more coats later. Will take some time to post a few photos tomorrow.

G

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:27 pm

I am on schedule, but have spent considerably more time than anticipated to be there. Guess that is normal :?

I level sanded, 400, 600, 1500 grits wet. Then buffed by hand with 2 compounds. 6 thin coats is not enough, especially on the sides. Wore through in a few spots, but will fix with more coats later...the show must go on.

With both necks
The beryllium copper one is attached to the guitar. They both fit and can be interchanged until I make another body.

The back

Top closeup with bridge just sitting on

My bridge locating devise

A closer look
I next drilled the outer bridge pin holes and put in machine bolts, but forgot to photo

Finish scraped for bridge glue on

Gluing the bridge

So just have to make a bridge saddle and 2 nuts, clean up a bit, install tuners, and string up.

Hope I am not forgetting something. Oh, yes, need to crown the frets :wallbang:

Come and play it this weekend :D

G

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:54 pm

whitespruce wrote:...Come and play it this weekend :D

G
Great idea, I'll see you this weekend!
Dennis Leahy

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:25 am

Looks like you're gonna' make it!
I'll come play also....

I love your bridge locator! Going to have to make some of those, diff. scale lengths. I'm always juggling straight edges and tape measures, not a good system!
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut