Finished! Burl Maple SG

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Andyjr1515

Finished! Burl Maple SG

Post by Andyjr1515 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi
Sorry it's been a while. Started a new job at work...really gets in the way of the important things like guitar building :lol:

In between times, I've been busy making an SG tribute for our old-blokes-band's bassist.

It's mahogany back, burl maple top, mahogany/walnut/mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard. I'm also doing it as a thru neck. When I get a moment, I'll post some of the build photos, but just in case anyone is interested, has anyone else used standard fountain pen ink as a stain?

I've used it a few times and it beats all other stained finishes hands down!

Modern cameras struggle with red, so I've had to tweak the white balance. but this is getting close to how it looks:

In real life it is much more blood-red...it looks fabulous. Just ink applied with a cloth and standard hardware store varnish, thinned with white spirit and hand-wiped with a microfibre cloth.

I've also done a faux binding which adds a bit of definition to the join:

I'll try to post some shots of how the back is progressing
Last edited by Andyjr1515 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy - Derby, UK
Plays Guitar, Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Bass & Bongos in an old man's band (I'm the youngest - this is not a good look! But GREAT fun!!). Makes & mods Electric 6 strings, Acoustic 6-strings and basses
http://www.AJRGuitarmods.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Burl Maple SG

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Ink? Red ink? Whodathunkit! Looks gorgeous, deep - 3D.

That is a knock-out!

Did you do the faux binding by carefully wiping, or did you mask and peel tape, or...?

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Andyjr1515

Post by Andyjr1515 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:Ink? Red ink? Whodathunkit! Looks gorgeous, deep - 3D.

That is a knock-out!

Did you do the faux binding by carefully wiping, or did you mask and peel tape, or...?

Dennis
Thanks, Dennis

I masked it with some self-stick auto 'go-faster-stripe' strip.

Great thing about using ink is that there are so many fancy colours! (And it works better than most stains and it's cheap!)

Thanks for looking
Andy
Andy - Derby, UK
Plays Guitar, Tenor Sax, Alto Sax, Bass & Bongos in an old man's band (I'm the youngest - this is not a good look! But GREAT fun!!). Makes & mods Electric 6 strings, Acoustic 6-strings and basses

Michael S

Post by Michael S » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:16 am

That's a beauty. Please, more pics.
Michael

Andyjr1515

Post by Andyjr1515 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks, Michael

So...I continue with my slightly unorthodox approach! I am building this as a thru neck but using the same technique I did for a recent Thumb Bass tribute - angling the neck and cutting a parallel slot in the body. Yes, I know :roll:

Here's the neck:

and here's the slot in the body:

and here's how it ends up:

The reason I do it like this is simply that, with the limited equipment I have, I find it easier to cut an accurate parallel slot than I do to get three bits of separate wood straight enough to glue together a la 'neck and wings'!
I seem to have got away with it - I'll post a shot of the varnished back when it's light enough in the morning to take a picture - fits well and looks good.

The other weird thing I've done, as my customer isn't a purist and doesn't want to suffer the SG 'head-heavy' syndrome, is leave the body thick, dry assemble all the hardware then thin down the back until it balances :D . The resulting body is around 1.7" as opposed to the original at <1.5" but should balance beautifully.

For the neck, I took profiles from his favourite playing guitar (a Gibson Firebird) and replicated it on this.

He should be a happy bunny as long as I don't muck it up in the final stages :lol:

Thanks for looking

Andy
Andy - Derby, UK

Andyjr1515

Post by Andyjr1515 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10 am

Just a few more quick shots as the back varnish starts building up:

Thanks for looking

Andy
Andy - Derby, UK

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow Andy that is such a nice looking guitar :)

I've never seen anyone use ink before so thanks for sharing that with us!

All the best
Dave
To be someone must be a wonderful thing! - Weller 1978

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:51 am

Yep, ditto all around; that's stellar!

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine