Boycote / lutz build - Builder exchange

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Boycote / lutz build - Builder exchange

Post by Joe Sustaire » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey Dean and Eben, good to hear from you.
Just pulled the guitar off the stand and wiped a good healthy coat of dust off it. :lol:
Obviously I haven't been playing much. Tuned her up, play a bit and am hearing a vibratory rattle, very strong on some notes, sounds like it's in the neck. Take her over to the shop, loosen the strings, tweak the truss rod a bit, retune, and problem solved. Need to adjust the action some, it's risen to 5/32" on bass, 4/32" on treble at 12th fret. A bit too high for easy playing up the neck. Looking her over, don't see any problem, just a slight belly. Time for a little neck joint flossing. Still sounds good though!

On the Joe side the story's not so sweet. Had to put Patty in a nursing home. She was to the point where she was wanting to go home all the time, not recognizing that she was in her home. Found a really good, caring home, an independent not a chain. Felt good about that. Unfortunately after 3 weeks her anxiety and aggression increased to where we had to put her in a hospital psych unit to try and get her on some meds to mellow her out. Two weeks in there, back to the nursing home. They felt she was worse than when she left and was so overmedicated she couldn't walk. So now she's in the geri unit of a private psych hospital to try and get her meds straightened out. Been 4 weeks now, I get to visit on Saturdays. Her anxiety level seems better and she's walking again but still being difficult about changing etc. Just doesn't understand what they're trying to do.

Hopefully they can get her leveled out where she can go back to the nursing home.

Needless to say Patty isn't the only one having a rough time. Watching your soulmate lose her mind after 42 years of bliss, and not being able to help her is beyond rough.

Just trying to hang in there,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Joe.
My heart sank when I read your post.
I have no frame of reference, so I cannot tell you I understand what you are going through.
I can only tell you that my thoughts are with you my friend.
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks David, that means a lot!

Dean, I forget to answer your finish question.
It was rottenstone rubbed in with a piece of felt. I picked it up from one of Colin's builds. As I recall he rubbed it in dry. I tried that but it didn't do much, maybe the finish had cured longer, anyway I spritzed a bit of water on the area I was rubbing and just worked around like that. It gave it a nice mellow sheen. The varnish finish seems to be holding up well.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Joe ,

Thanks for the update on the guitar and I am sorry to hear about the turn with Patty. Like David, I have no frame of reference- but my heart goes out to you.

Back to the guitar....try a clockwise turn or maybe two. I usually do the set up in a non tension position and I think this might do it.

Keep in touch and I think of you often.

Your guitar hangs in my shop and I play it often.

Dean

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Joe,

So sorry to hear about Patty. I can only imagine... In our mid (Audrey) to late (me) 70s it is what we both fear.

So difficult, but do try to be kind to yourself as well as to Patty.

You're both in my prayers.

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:08 am

Hey Joe, like others have said, I can only imagine what you are going through. Though we have never personally met, you are as much a friend as someone I have known most of my life. It seems kinda empty saying I wish you the best or something similar, but I think of you often. Keep in touch and let us know what is happening. There is a whole family of folks here who care.

G

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for the thoughts and words guys!
It does help, I'm pretty much a hermit here now, (see childhood dreams can come true), learning to talk to myself. :lol:

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut

Jbus

Post by Jbus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am

Joe, I too am sending my best wishes and thoughts your way.

I am not sure if you saw the thread I started... But I just want you to know that bracing pattern worked perfect and contributed to my favorite guitar to date! Thanks again.

I hope you liked the cd as well!

Josh