Grange Floor Mandolins

Times are tough, the world's economy is takin' a beating; What should conscientious luthiers do in response?! How about some scrounge builds! Nothin' fancy, nothin' from far away, and lots of imagination...
Mark Fogleman
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Grange Floor Mandolins

Post by Mark Fogleman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 am

Nice work Mike! Diamond nail files and superfine emery boards rock.
"This is not rocket science; it's far more complicated..."
Alan Carruth on guitar acoustics

mziegler

Post by mziegler » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 am

I think I mentioned earlier that I was making two mandolins so here is some catchup with number two.

Made a softwood caul to help attach the fingerboard. It is pictured in the lower portion of the photo. I have a heat lamp out because my shop is a bit cold and this is the other part of the build where I am using hide glue(the other was the neck joint). I definitely want these two aspects of the build to be reversible. The central portion of the caul has been removed because there is a 12 inch radius on the fingerboard. I definitely shouldn't have that roll of paper towels under the heat lamp but I did not leave them there any longer than the instrument itself. In order to clamp the section of the fingerboard over the body I made a caul to fit the back of the instrument. I don't think you can see them in this picture but there are small brads to prevent the fingerboard from shifting during the glue-up.

There is my baby bottle of hide glue with its antibacterial copper coil. I have mentioned it before but don't know if anyone noticed-- that copper coil prevents ALL bacterial and mold contamination in the hide glue and the glue now lasts indefinitely (at least a few months at room temperature). Got this idea from seeing the copper glue pots of furniture and instrument makers in Turkey that a friend observed. They obviously don't refrigerate or change their glue on any regular basis and I wondered about the short lifespan of my glue (molds and foul bacterial smells). The difference was the copper.

Back to the finishing of the other mandolin. I am using Target Coatings as a finish.

Sprayed their EM 8000 sanding sealer and it really is nice stuff. Builds well and sands nicely after a few hours. I have taken to spraying and then putting the instrument up horizontally. I find the water-based finish takes some time to coalesce and dry so this horizontal position seems to help. It opens up the possibility of more nibs and dust. To help I misted with water and have the air filter on before spraying. Using EM 6000 for the topcoat.

MikeZ
Jerry Garcia said of Clarence, "He brought a kind of swing, a rhythmic openness, to bluegrass ...Bluegrass is a kind of forward-leaning music. Clarence's playing was way in the back of the beat, and so added an openness that was really breathtaking."

Gary Watkins
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by Gary Watkins » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:39 pm

I love the color!