Snakewood cedar OM cutaway

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Snakewood cedar OM cutaway

Post by whitespruce » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Well, I bent those snakewood sides, so now I suppose I had better do something with them. So i am going to see how snakewood pairs with a cedar top. I have not built with a cedar top before, so this should be a good learning experience.

The sides I bent have a rather low figure, so the top will be the same. Actually, It will be a 4-piece back from the next 2 slices off the billet that I cut the sides from.

Here is what it looks like
Nothing exceptional to look at, but I am as interested in the sound as much as or more so as the looks.

Here it is with mineral spirits

The cedar top is one of those really nice ones I got from Dan Minard many years ago

And for a refresher, here are the bent sides

This will be a rather leisurely build, so don't expect to see it finished in a couple of weeks :D

G

Erik

Re: Snakewood cedar OM cutaway

Post by Erik » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:20 am

Hi Grant,

Nice to see this unusual wood in the works. I remember your massive quarter log you got a few years ago and I see that some sets are up fro sale. I must say that the limited experience that I have with snake wood has been surprisingly good. Apart from the hairline cracks that are common in the wood, I have found it surprisingly easy to work despite it density and the figure. It is even nice to plane by hand.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to following your build!

Erik
If you can't do it, you can't do it